1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can say there's "no way" Trump wins in 2024. He almost won this time with gigantic disasters going off all around him where it should have been a rout.

2020 showed he has X number of electoral votes basically guaranteed unless demographics shift enough to take some states out of play. He gets a couple of those to flip back his way. It's not that far-fetched, especially depending on the candidate the Dems end up putting out there.

wicked likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you about any "no way" proclamations are silly. The ridiculousness of him alone proves anything can happen when it comes to who Americans will elect.

I don't think he has X number of electoral votes guaranteed, though. It feels that way, but I think the support he had is more finicky than that.

The people who support him are susceptible to populist nonsense. History has shown, though, that people become disaffected with populists fairly easily, and if someone else with a line of bullshit that those people buy comes in at the right time, they will embrace that person and pretend that Trump never existed.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He probably has at least 100 electoral votes in the bag from deep red states. If you assume Texas doesn't flip, and if it does, it won't matter who Republicans nominate, he'll be over at least 150. You can't convince me he couldn't rustle up the usual suspects -- Florida and Ohio -- and have Georgia and Arizona swing back to where he's right there, to say nothing of a couple other swing states turn back red, for whatever reason that comes about in the next three years

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

If he's still alive he's a threat. But I noticed one thing during the trial yesterday. With him gone from the daily conversation, he sounds even more childish/limited vocabulary/reactionary than he did as it all happened. When you don't hear him speak for weeks and then you get his narcissism and hatred, it seems more apparent. No one in America politics talk likes that. I know that has attracted his base to be active, but I suspect that the people who swung from him will be even more appalled by his behavior moving forward.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Also, he’s not gaining mental acuity or oratory skill in the next four years. That’s going to start going the other way, fast.

2muchcoffeeman and Mngwa like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If any of you thinking those sucking up to him today will be laying down palm fronds for him for the '24 nomination - you are kidding yourselves. Maybe that's what it will take, Trump running again. Figure the Cruz, Hawley, and Rubio crew will suddenly find their spines then.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

If Trump (or any of his current Senate sycophants) gets the 2024 nomination, Dems should run ads of black and white footage of the capitol riot while a female singer sings a slowed down, sad version of "America the Beautiful" as the background music.

Then a voiceover would say "he encouraged this" (Trump) or "he ignored this" (Senate sycophants).

9. The Big Ragu

Right. Those deep red states are going to vote red for whoever is on the ballot. But it won't necessarily be a Trump thing. They all voted for John McCain.

I wouldn't put Texas in that reliable category for him with how it all ended, or Georgia or Arizona for sure. Even Utah might be a race now. So that leaves you with the 100 or so electoral votes that he will always get automatically. But again, I don't see that as Trump thing. The ticket of Beavis and Butthead with an R next to their names on the ballot gets those 100 electoral vote. At this point, does Trump really have any realistic chance at much beyond that? And even if he did, what is to say some other brand of populist BS doesn't supplant Trump's bullshit when it gets to a primary? I do think vast swaths of the American people are that easily seduced and Trump is no longer the new, different thing.

OscarMadison, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  10. The Big Ragu

One other thought. ... It also depends on who is on the ballot for the democrats. The only reason Trump got elected in the first place is that Hillary Clinton was so polarizing and disliked by so many people. With Trump's clown act in the primaries and the endless dishonesty, if the other party had come up with a standard Joe Biden-ish candidate in 2016, I am certain we would have never had to live through the 4 years we did.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Maybe Trump should hire Tim Matheson for his defense team

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess what bugs me the most about these Rs who are "certain" acquital votes is that nobody asks them why. They're from red states sure, but does that mean throw the Constituiton out the window? That they honestly believe Trump did nothing wrong? That the "next Trump" won't be inhibited from using the same tactics? And of course, are you that afraid of the Trump mob? Do you not care about those who died in the riot? Would you be giving the same pass to a Democrat? These are questions that every No voter should be forced to answer under penalty of perjury.

Draft saved Draft deleted