1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Perhaps. I wouldn't mind if that remained true. We'll see.

I predict a Democratic Party that, well, it's already become more religious/rigid in nature, and will continue to do so. The fate of the world is on the line roughly every month with one issue or another. You talk like that long enough, your voters really believe it, and the accountability circle tightens into political dogma.

You strike me - and you tell me if I'm wrong - as more of a classic liberal who'd guard against such limiting ideology. Well, I think it's getting more prevalent in the party, and Trump, awful as he actually is - he really is the worst - is a useful long-term bogeyman in the journey. I predict we may pay twice for Trump; once when he was president, and next in the speech limits in reaction to his presidency. But we'll see. I want to be wrong about the latter and maybe I will be. I often am.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

MSNBC reporting Schoen lied and house managers gave him the security video in advance

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What exactly is the ideology that liberal ole me is going to guard against? Sorry. I am seriously not following.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The idea that the word "fight" is problematic and should not be used by politicians because of what it can incite.

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

It is a stupid word to use by people who are depended on to use language with more discretion.

Trump is the oaf he is - there is no black hole as deep as his stupidity - but I expect greater nuance from an Ivy-trained lawyer.

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As I said, context matters.

1) A politician trying to get people to vote for them, who talks about fighting for [insert whatever it is]? Sure, knock yourself out.
    2) A politician who loses an election, spends months bullshitting about it having been stolen and riling up a mishmash of white supremacists, gun nuts and functionally illiterate morons to storm the capital building on the day the election is going to be certified? Not kosher.

If that sensibility makes me a classic liberal, then by all means, I am John Locke.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And it's the same guy who advocated for "Second Amendment people" to take out a former opponent.

OscarMadison and heyabbott like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think your position on No. 1 makes you more liberal than I think could happen, is what I mean.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Travis Kelce approves.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted