1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

heyabbott likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I see the emails all the time, if things are so dire - you'd expect the Dem candidates to be cranking up their campaigns early. But they aren't. Engagement is low. Nobody is knocking on doors, making phone calls etc. Out this way, we have three Dems making their first congressional runs, and only one seems to be campaigning hard.

Oh - they're funding MAGA candidates to help their "The Other Side is Worse" campaign....I'll send my political donations elsewhere. The party is devoid of ideas.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    wicked and lakefront like this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mine go to a “promotions” folder. Unfortunately, the magic algorithm also sends my church newsletter there, so once a week I have to fish it out of the sewer. Even scrolling past the subject lines is depressing as hell. I keep expecting Sarah McLachlan to start playing through my speakers.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I said nothing about income taxes. I was referring to property taxes. Sorry for the confusion. Case of the Mondays.

I was on the board of a non-profit that runs an old cemetery. It entailed begging for donations and helping mow and weedeat. Relatives of people buried there would get pissed about the condition of the grounds, but they never wanted to write a check to prevent crabgrass from growing on their great-grandmother's gravesite. Or to hire an arborist to take down an 80-foot oak that was dropping limbs and breaking headstones.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I believe that 30%, plus another 15% who were one-issue anti-abortion voters, eked Trump into the White House in 2016 (this minority of voters was sprinkled across just the right mix of Electoral College states).

Now that the pro-lifers got the Taliban Supreme Court that they wanted, their motive to hold their nose and support Trump is gone. At least I hope so.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Don't know how universal this was/is, but there was a time (back before major credit cards became so ubiquitous) that small-town main streets were dotted with mom-and-pop finance stores. Most of these in my neck o' the woods were backed financially by one or more cemeteries, which had perpetual care money that needed investing.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You asked how they are supposed to pay taxes if they have no income. Which was why I responded the way I did. Income would only relate to income tax.

Property taxes are not an income tax. If I own a home, and I have no income. ... the fact that I have no income has no bearing on my property taxes.

Most places exempt non profits from property tax, particularly if they have a charitable mission. But it's not a blanket thing in this country. The cemetery you are on the board of pays property taxes?

It still doesn't really have anything to do with what I was saying. NJ exempts all cemeteries from paying pretty much any taxes. That isn't a non profit exemption, it's ANY cemetery, a for profit company or otherwise. No income tax, real estate taxes, business taxes, sales taxes, inheritance taxes. Which we can all guess is why Trump wants to be in the golf and graves business.

I think that tax rules should be applied equally to everyone. The rules shouldn't be a jumble of carve outs saying, "This person is subject, this one isn't."

IF property taxes are going to be levied, I believe they should apply equally to everyone. It shouldn't be, "Your factory has to pay a property tax," but "that guy's cemetery doesn't."

8. Inky_Wretch

As I said, I worded it poorly.

But no city or county government wants to be in the position of foreclosing on a cemetery over non-payment of taxes, which likely spurs them to give tax breaks to the owners.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Click reply and send on that church newsletter and that should do the trick.

10. Bu77ers

Bu77ers Member

I hope DeSantis is the choice, but it's the hateful left that divides the country when their preferred candidate loses.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

How did the hateful left let it come to this?

[​IMG]

X-Hack, Fred siegle, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Ignore the hit-and-run troll.

Justin_Rice likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted