1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

in a state with 851,000 registered republicans for 45 percent of all registered voters, that might be quite the foreshadowing

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Democrats could walk to Congress tomorrow and get 20 weeks codified. Federal law.

lakefront and FileNotFound like this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I expect the SOCTUS to over turn the election.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The Kansas vote is interesting. The dominant klan teed up the wording so that you had to vote No in order to preserve the status quo. Confusing. But even in Kansas, a Trumpist enclave, the recent SCOTUS ruling is a loser.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

What'll happen is there won't be any more letting the voters decide on abortion. They'll ram it through themselves.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Shaping up as a shellacking in Trumpville tonight. Robson leads Lake in Arizona, and Meijer winning MI-3.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Maybe Fat Orange Hitler will end it all tonight in his bunker of disappointment

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

If they did votes nationwide, I can't see how 12 weeks wouldn't become the new bare minimum.

10. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Not so fast.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Worth noting: the vast majority of the numbers in Arizona so far are early voters from Maricopa County, where Robson is going to do well. We haven't seen much from day-of voters or the rural areas, where they would vote for Osama Bin Laden if he were endorsed by Trump.

In short, Lake isn't out of this.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Kansas was lucky in that its Supreme Court had already ruled our Constitution protected the right to privacy as far as abortions are concerned. That meant the only way to reverse that decision was to make it a constitutional amendment, which had to go to the voters.

Had that not been the case, Kansas could have gone the way of other red states.

But also, in my lifetime in Kansas, I've seen instances where the voters will go, "OK, we need to reign this in a bit." It's why we currently have a Democrat as a governor. And tonight, I'm certain, was another case of, "Now hold up, we're not going to go that far."

I think what we had was a combination of pro-choice and, maybe equally as important, pro-constitution votes that killed this thing. In other words, voters who were pro-life that also felt like the legislature was asking for too much power.

There are "experts" trying to present Kansans as being confused. I don't think so. I think Kansans knew exactly what the hell was going on and said, "too far."

Now of course, in individual races, many people will probably vote the same whack jobs back into office. But maybe they'll be muted a bit by this outcome.

Kansas isn't turning blue. It's not necessarily purple. But it's not blood red, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted