1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

It's terminal, Jim.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A movement rises to change the teaching of reading

The story above is a much less "narrative driven" look at what is going on in the teaching of reading in the country (it's actually kind of fascinating). ... it looks more like academia and administrators reinvented the wheel (and it goes way beyond the Oakland school district).

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't see Liz as some Dorothy character who is suddenly hailed by the guards trying to kill her and her friends as soon as she dumps some water on Trump. I could see somebody like Paul Ryan or other Republicans who tapped out with the rise of Trump make a return - not one who constantly reminded them what idiots they were for following Trump. Perhaps the next GOP president hires her as Secretary of State and then maybe...

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want. Steve Schmidt is seen as a peak writing talent on Twitter. His 'raw copy' is atrocious. (And he wants to be paid for it now)

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting how much public passion and agitation any change in the teaching of reading provokes.

Whereas very little seems to accompany any change in the teaching of mathematics, which feels much more frequent.

And of course there's the race thing, which used to be subtext and is now overt.

6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The plea always required him to testify at the Trump Organization trial, if it makes it to trial. They didn't, however, get him to enter a cooperation agreement to help them in their criminal investigation of the company.

Also, the Manhattan DA wanted to flip Weisselberg against Trump and his children in a broader criminal investigation, and they weren't able to.

This is the same deal that they were talking about 24 hours ago, I believe.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Math? Try and help your children or your grandchildren with math. They are taught to do math in a way today that I do not understand. I’m not talking about calculus and trig, I’m talking 5th, 6th, 7th grade math. Ask any parent, we are baffled. My 25 yer old daughter who got a 670 on the Math SAT struggles with her step-son’s 7th grade math. Not getting the answer, but showing the work.

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

It's all a racket, as my mentor said.
    No standardized spelling or orthography until the 18th century, and even that was no tidal wave.
    There was a funny anecdote about this: Abigail Adams once spelled the same word three or four different ways in a letter,
    and finally asked after the final one, "Is this one right?" or such.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So you are saying people who, by todays standards, are poor spellers and incorrectly use grammar are really experts in 15th-17th century English literature?

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Everyone's got one special thing.

Except Trump, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted