1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It always made me laugh when teachers would come back from some in-service day and show us new ways to learn things. I don't remember it happening after elementary school, but I guess superintendants and educational consultants have to put food on their tables and show their "value" to justify their pay - like a lot of new managers. Of cours the best way for kids to improve their academic performances is to get them new parents who are college-educated and care about their kids' education.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I Should Coco and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

If there's an easier way to teach the kid how to carry the two and so forth, I'm OK with it.

I always think it's interesting to observe how someone grips a writing instrument, on the rare occasion that happens anymore.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump is now doing endorsements for Democrats?

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I can assure you that elementary school teachers and high school teachers at in-service act exactly like their own students.
    Elementary teachers sit up front, raise their hands, ask questions, want to be the person called on, etc.
    High school teachers sit in the back, plan where they are going for lunch, wish the instructor would just shut up, text each other inappropriate pics, etc.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

When did in-service days become a thing?

In the 1990’s and early 2000’s we did not get days off school for teachers to do those. Now it seems like every three to four weeks the kids are off school.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My district gets out early every Wednesday, like before 2:00 for “teacher training”. We don’t have the days off, but it’s tough, especially if you can’t WFH, or have a caregiver nearby.

Hermes likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's like most any other "office" in America in that way. Somebody's always going to feel like they have to justify their paycheck and try to re-invent the wheel.

wicked likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, where I work they are always changing things up - not so much because they know the changes will improve things, but they want staff to be able to adjust to changes when they are imperative. We saw how the inability of newspapers to adapt to change when it absolutely had to worked out for them. But kids are different - they pretty much have "one shot" at getting an education, any changes really should be scrutinized, particularly among those students who have learning difficulties.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted