1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Honestly they (his campaign) haven’t promoted it much (probably because it’s old news at this point) and Oz certainly won’t because the narrative that Fetterman is this slovenly health risk helps him.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When I saw the (apparently recent) pictures of Fetterman, my reaction was, "if he's over 400 pounds, he must be 7-foot-8."
    Now 6-9 and 250, I can buy.

And remember, Fatfuck is 6-0 1/2 and 380 -- he has shriveled down 30-40 pounds from his peak of about 420 in late 2020.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

That he didn't get TRUMP in 120-foot neon letters mounted on the roof of the White House remains a mystery to me to this day.

Inky_Wretch and Slacker like this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Which of those loans were forgiven by Presidential edict?

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Probably stole Nixon's enemies list because he is too damn lazy to write his own.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the student loan debt will start with that 125k individual/250k household and get bargained down. If you're in a house making 225k (or a current student with dependents at 225k), you can pay the damn 10k. 90/150 is probably a better threshold.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“If you take out a loan, you pay it back. Period.”

That sets the table for discussion. House GOP didn’t build in a loophole.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

But not drawn on the president's own bank account.

The worst thing about the "midterm elections are coming up, so let's expand my powers to make myself Santa Claus" act, is that it's just a formula for making college cost even more. Otherwise, it's just going to feed the inflation impulse they unleashed elsewhere with more aggregate demand thrown onto the fire.

It's more of the arsonist riding in on the fire truck.

The reason so many people landed up with a lot of debt was Federally-guaranteed student loans that put a price floor under the price of tuition and created a huge mess that everyone now pays for.

1) I suspect this one will end up in front of the Supreme Court, which already has taken a dim view of how much shit the executive branch now tries to unilaterally do. There was the CDC eviction moratorium, the workplace vaccine mandate and the EPA stuff. This follows. Not that the administration doesn't know it or care. This was all about blatantly trying to buy votes with a populist move. If it gets tossed it will be after the election and that is what this was geared toward.
    2) As long as we keep down this path, we are just fucking the country worse over time. That debt didn't just disappear. People are such morons.

Alma likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A lot of these big balances reflect income that's been replaced rather than higher education that has become more costly (although, to be clear, it has ...). I had a modest student loan balance (<$40,000) when I finished my graduate work, but I'd estimate that 85% of that was simply money I was borrowing (to live on) rather than earning.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Die mad about it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are really right about this. It's not just anecdotal. It's a consequence of a lot of stupidity that has put the country where it is.

There has been a great deal of debt created over the last two decades or so of young people pushed to go to college (whether they really wanted to or were suited for it) because of politicians who promised college for everyone cluelessly turning a college degree in practical terms into what a free public school high school degree used to be in the job market.

There have been so many effects of that that have hurt people, way too many to even spell out on here. But among other things:
    1) Aside from a small group of schools that could remain selective, the quality of a college education at a lot of other schools has gone down. It basically dumbed down college, as more schools that essentially exist to collect the tuition the guaranteed loans hand to them, are incentivized to keep lesser-qualified students paying that tuition.
    2) But even so, along the lines of what you're saying, you have A LOT of kids who went to college for a few semesters or a year or two, loaded themself up on debt to meet the tuition, but more so to pay for rent and beer because of their forgone income. ... and then didn't even get far enough to have a degree to show for the debt.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted