1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump is telling his people to gear up.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Commenter wins the Internets today ...

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Hard to predict anything else but it seems assured Oz will be trounced.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think the Democratic majority is looking safe in the Senate and a +2 is even likely, which cuts the nuts off Manchin — and Sinema too.

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Thanks! As an alum of a "public Ivy" myself, I've always assumed my failure to give every year wouldn't hurt my own kids' admission prospects down the line and that if I did give more diligently, it wouldn't help much either. Because I was never going to be able to give enough to get them to rename so much as a piss stain underneath a urinal trough at the Big House after me, much less a building.

I will say that I do agree in principle with race-based affirmative action because structural inequities from past practices persist today and still impact outcomes. I also acknowledge that it's messy and imperfect and doesn't sufficiently take class into consideration. For example, to what extent does admissions consider the disadvantages faced by poor whites in hollowed-out industrial towns or rural areas? Not much, most likely. At the same time, the scenario that opponents of affirmative action like to concoct where legions of gritty white kids scrapping to escape a dead-end life amid the heroin needles and empty mills of Ampipe, PA are directly losing out because Theo Huxtable and Carlton Banks are taking their spots seems like a bit of an outlier if not a full-blown trope.

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

franticscribe and garrow like this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

More like “Please don’t shoot my dog” energy.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Pro-Trump YouTuber (from the "of course" file):

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Crap like this is going to become commonplace every time there is a state election when the party in control changes, leaving citizens scratching their heads.

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — In a statement posted on his Twitter account, Governor Glenn Youngkin announced that he is already working to repeal a law that would ban the sale of new gas and diesel-powered cars in Virginia by 2035.
    Virginia is currently in an agreement to follow California’s emissions standards as part of a bill passed in 2021 under former Governor Ralph Northam, according to the Associated Press.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Only if people actually get out and VOTE. I hate this growing over confidence.
    (not you personally, but it seems to be growing on the web)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    maumann, wicked, part-timer and 3 others like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Thought GM was phasing out gas cars in 10 years. Lol

Draft saved Draft deleted