1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Football? That’s for liberals!

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a good thing we don't have too many close primary elections in Massachusetts today. The blank ballots for the primary in Barnstable, the largest town on Cape Cod, were locked in a safe in the town hall. This morning, poll workers found no one could open the safe. It was broken. Somebody finally got it together to take sample ballots to a printer and have copies made, but the polls didn't open until 11. They won't close until midnight. Poll workers skew elderly across the entire USA, but in the oldest region of this state, they shew very elderly. Poor folks probably haven't been up until midnight since, maybe, maybe New Year's Y2K.
    PS: Safe still closed as we go to press. Presumably town officials are importing a safecracker from MCI Cedar Junction. It'd make a pretty good caper film. Fate of the nation rests on ability of career criminal to crack safe before chaos ensues.

lakefront and maumann like this.
  3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I know ancedotes don't equal data, but my 80-year-old parents are most active from 2 p.m. to about midnight. It is super fun being a parent of very young children for whom a morning visit with Grandma and Grandpa would be aces. Instead we have to do late afternoon and there's usually a meltdown, but I digress.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sundowning (or sundown syndrome) ... not a pretty picture.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Still remember sitting at the Brevard County Board of Elections until 5 a.m. because one elderly precinct worker went home with the ballot box in her trunk, took her hearing aids out and went to bed. Deputies had to get permission to enter her house. I drove back to Melbourne just in time for the 6 a.m. newscast.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But what about the clown?

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Remember that scene in Narcos Season 1 where Escobar is telling the kidnapped journalist that he was going to do great things for the country but the politicians and businessmen made him out to be a monster, so it's their fault he became one?

That's where MAGAnation is now.

You can defend America.....or you can defend Trump. You can't do both.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If she appointed anyone but that wet toast as VP and paid any sort of attention to the Midwest, we’re dealing in a whole different reality.

wicked and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think the last four years would have been much different. The GOP in the House were ready with impeachment bills if she won. Investigations, chaos - better court appointees to be sure, better foreign policy - I just don't think it would be as "kumbaya" as people would like to believe. And Trump would be bitching about the election four years earlier.

Plus - I don't know of any VP candidate who would have been able to lift the ticket and or lessen the anti-Hillary voters. Let alone engage the more lefty base of the party.

cyclingwriter2 and OscarMadison like this.
  10. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You can ignore football if you wish - but if you are running a campaign and don't include the pro and college football schedules on your master calendar - you are a fool. Particularly with the "TBA" times most college games have. Though I do say - game times are a good time to canvass.

wicked, garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted