1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

My 92-year old grandmother: Coolidge
    My parents: Truman
    Me: Nixon
    My kids: Clinton (2), W. Bush

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My students were all born about a year before Obama’s election but I think they are going to remember Trump’s presidency more. Sort of how I was born right before Reagan was re-elected but my first presidential memories are more Clinton (though I remember Bush going to Iraq and the 92 election, Clinton was the first president I registered).

Curious who the first president you actually remember and understood this was the president?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vaguely Carter. I knew he was the leader of the country, his name was on TV a lot and he had a daughter named Amy, but that was it.

Reagan was who I really grew up with. ‘84 election was the first election that I noticed. I’ve told the story on here before about my class voting overwhelmingly for Reagan in a mock election, and how I watched some of the results that night with my Mom, who finally told me to turn the TV off because she was sick of seeing all the red on the screen.

Gulf War was a holy shit! moment because I was near the age where I could be eligible to be drafted. Which, after what happened with Vietnam, was a prime topic of conversation at that time.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I was your typical 9 year old
    Blissfully unaware until 11/22/63

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Nixon was the first one I remember. Whatever grade I was in during the 1972 election we had to do a scrap book of newspaper articles about the election. The town I lived in had a store front Re-Elect Nixon Office and a McGovern Office. Nixon’s office gave away pins, bumper stickers and had great pamphlets. McGovern’s office was smaller and shabbier and had less stuff to give away.
    I have definite recollections of Watergate. Watching the hearings and reading the papers everyday.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Parents: Ike
    Me: Ford
    Brother: Carter
    Kids: Bush 43, Obama

I remember my parents being unhappy that Carter lost in 80 (although they might deny it now) but as far as noticing the day-to-day presidency that was Reagan all the way. From 5-17, all I ever understood was a Republican presidency. When Clinton was inaugurated I had no frame of reference and half expected the Red Army to march in his parade.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Bootstraps, motherfucker.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Didn't go over the moon until 1972, when I watched Olga Korbut and heard that anthem. A week later I already knew the Russian alphabet.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ford

or, maybe, Fnord?

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

George H.W. Bush. Even as a little kid I was kind of preoccupied by current events (my folks would show off my unusually early-developing reading skills by having me read headlines from the local paper), and I think my folks loved the "not gah dewit" parody. I remember voting for him in a mock election in school in 1992 (this would have been third grade). Probably the last time I'll ever vote for a Republican.

12. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Bill Clinton - but only because of the scandal.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted