1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One could argue - and I would - that the fact Donald Trump has the support he still does is a function of both the intransigence and delusion of his supporters and the amount of perverse respect he gets through constant denunciation. Democrats funneling money to Trump-backed candidates so they can win primaries over moderate conservatives, for example.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe they constantly denounce him because he's worthy of condemnation for his behavior and actions?

You always frame things around some predetermined narrative you've created.

Do you think people give Vladimir Putin too much "perverse respect"?

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

if only the left hadn't let Putin get to this...!

OscarMadison and dixiehack like this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They're sending them to a nearby military base where there's more room. The residents of Martha's Vineyard (and not the rich ones, since they all leave after Labor Day) have gone overboard to help these people. Take the bullshit to Truth Social.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

[
    You mean, my opinion?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Aha! You mean reeducation camp.

[​IMG]

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The leading Ned Flanders-centric metal band in the world

Flanders is the unquestioned lord and master of the world
    Everybody just sit back and let the hooks do their work and
    Prepare for Reneducation

9. The Big Ragu

No, I mean predermined narratives. ... scripts you create, where you ascribe movations and thoughts to other people that maybe fit your opinion.

I am not a Democrat. ... but when I see them constantly condemning Trump. ... I think about the endless things that Trump has said and done that is worthy of condemnation.

And given that he's the face of the rival party? Of course they are going to condemn him. That doesn't seem strange to me at all. He's worthy of condemnation. He's a despicable person (That is an opinion; my opinion).

Now, if you think Trump isn't worthy of constant condemnation then just state your opinion. We can have a discussion about our respective opinions.

But when you create a narrative about Democrats giving him "perverse respect" because they constantly denounce him, I am seeing you frame other people into a narrative of your making (and I've wondered if it is to avoid just stating your actual opinion). ... Regardless, it's something you do a lot.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Ragu kind of has a point but in a different way.

The core of the media strategy of Trumpism is to force media to make one of two choices: 1. Give him a free hand to say and do increasingly outlandish, racist and antidemocratic things or 2. force them to make a value judgement, which gives you the opportunity to claim that they're biased against you. Works the same way here: Either you say nothing and it gets treated as tacit approval or you do take action and it's used as evidence to portray you as obsessed.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Joint Base Cape Cod, formerly Otis AFB, is like the only place in the Cape and Islands with a surplus of emergency-worthy housing. It was the logical longer-term destination for these poor folks. I assure you there'd be at least two available jobs for every adult among the 50, but little or no permanent housing. It is our perpetual socioeconomic crisis. In any event, their status in this country is in the hands of immigration courts in Texas, not here, although I'm sure their lawyers would welcome a change of venue.

OscarMadison, Fred siegle and wicked like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

Maybe the most insane thing to me is that they are told, "You can hang out in the U.S. while you wait for an asylum hearing, but you can't legally get a job for at least 6 months." It's just wrong under any circumstances, but in a tight labor market where employers can't fill low-skilled jobs with workers right now, preventing those people from working and trying to take care of themselves is unconscionable to me.

Those Venezuelans just trudged thousands of miles, through more than a half dozen countries, through jungle, through gang territory. ... and it was because they were looking for even the smallest opportunity they didn't have at home. It's exactly the kind of person any sane employer should want to hire. But nope. So a lot of them will end up getting off the books jobs, because they will want to take care of themselves, and people will have a problem with that -- they aren't paying taxes, they are driving down wages, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted