1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

But my original take had nothing to do with perceiving Democrats, other than suggesting that it’s hypocritical to funnel money toward candidates they supposedly hate.

My post - and Brooks’ column - is about why Trump seems so durable among his supporters, not why Democrats denounce him. I’m perceiving (not defending) his supporters. What Brooks is arguing is, the Democrats’ denunciation isn’t working or, at least, points to the absence of a larger message designed to win over Trump voters.

i’m not sure I agree with Brooks on the latter point, but I do think the constant denunciation, right now, is a net neutral at best. In some cases, I think it can have the reverse effect of entrenching his supporters even more because, in a perverse way, the more villainous he’s made out to be, the more compelling a threat he is to the people Trump’s supporters hate.

is it dysfunctional? Yes. Is it dangerous? Yes. I’d go so far as to say that a lot of his supporters mirror cult like behavior.

How do you get people out of a cult?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They were supposed to go to Boston. Not their fault that DeSantis doesn’t know his geography.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure how you are forgetting my response to that Brooks column, since you responded to it.

Donald Trump lost in 2020! He was a one-term president, which is really difficult to do unless you are a total flop. He was impeached twice. His party lost control of Congress in 2018. A bunch of his hand-picked candidates for the Senate are doing really poorly -- in an stagflationary economy that should have them coasting. Vote projections are actually giving Democrats a chance, when a year ago it was a foregone conclusion that the mid-term elections would be a flip, the way they always are.

When you write a column that jumps off from the proposition that "they keep trying to discredit him, but it ain't working." ... I don't know what world he (and you) are living in. Democrats may or may not have a grand strategy with regard to Donald Trump. But it's not like Donald Trump is "winning" (to put it into Trump's puerile terms). ... at much of anything since he got elected in 2016, unless the idea is that he managed to avoid being convicted in an impeachment trial or that he has avoided prison so far is a "win." He lost reelection. He's an absolute joke to the majority of the country. It's been one shitshow after another, two impeachments, a criminal probe right now, and him holding a party hostage as it loses its influence, except the candidates he hand picks are unable to gain traction despite an absolute shit economy that always leads to the current bums getting voted out.

It was just a silly column to me. The premise makes no sense. They keep trying to discredit him, but it isn't working? Like I said, Donald Trump has done it for them.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Ron DeSantis is a human trafficker and kidnapper.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

To go with that fukcing fertilizer face.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I mean, screw the GOP, but this sounds more like New Jersey’s problem than his. When I left Georgia and got registered to vote here, I didn’t go back to my old elections board and tell them to take my name off. I assumed they scrubbed the rolls themselves and if not, tough shit to them. As long as he didn’t try and vote in NJ after establishing Pennsylvania residency (and it does not look like he did) then I can’t hold this against him.

franticscribe likes this.
  9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I believe that’s where the Reverse Freedom Riders went in the 1960s.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yeah, shipped to Hyannis because that's where Kennedy had his summer place. Borrowed bullshit from the KKK used in 2022.

Draft saved Draft deleted