1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

What?!?!

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Filled up at a gas station last night for $5 a gallon, up another .20 in less than 24 hours. Up $1 in a week.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Another thing I forgot to take into account is that, more than likely, Publix (et al.) don't actually sell the OJ you buy. Rather, they sell the shelf space to (and process the last-mile transactions for) the suppliers of the OJ you buy.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Sandy Hook parent recounts years of harassment after Alex Jones called him a crisis actor | CNN Business

Robbie Parker finally got to confront Alex Jones in court. I’ve often said, I don’t care if he did cartwheels and broke into song and dance, you don’t ever question if he really lost his daughter or if his behavior was consistent with that of someone whose daughter was murdered the previous day.

You do not apply the “If your mother says she loves you, check it out” standard to his press conference. There was never any reason to think he eas lying.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bend over, enjoy it and remember that big oil makes no unjustified profit. Pay no attention to those record profits from recent quarters, it's just supply and demand.

From 1975 until Dec., 2015, the crude oil export ban prohibited most crude oil exports from the United States to other countries. It was implemented to increase domestic production (which it did) and to reduce our dependency on foreign oil (which it did).

Again, I'm obviously not as smart as you. But if you want to REDUCE YOUR DEPENDENCY ON FOREIGN OIL, a huge right-wing/big oil talking point, it makes sense to keep everything that is produced in-country in-country, no, so we can use all the oil found here, and not ship it overseas? But guess who led the charge to repeal a ban that had worked well for 40 years, and had actually reduced our dependency on foreign oil? The American Petroleum Institute.

Because big oil always has the best interests of the consumer in mind.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Saw for the first time that Florida's Natural Orange Juice now includes juice from Mexico. There is now no non-concentrate juice brand at least near me that uses only Florida oranges. That's important because import suppliers Mexico and Brazil both allow higher amounts of pesticides/herbicides than U.S.-grown oranges.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

As far as some are concerned, any activity is justified as long as it’s in the pursuit of profit. If something a company does is THAT bad, the free market will punish them accordingly. No need for government intervention. No, sir.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't speak for the amorphous "as far as some are concerned" group of people who live in strawman world. ... but I personally think there is nothing immoral about producing a good or service and freely selling it to others at a price they either choose to pay or not choose to pay. I personally believe free exchange is moral. I find the opposite -- people who want to dictate prices to others based on what they have decided is "justified" to be dangerous.

The best test of what is "justified" is to find a willing buyer and seller and let them decide the price freely. Just like I shouldn't be putting a cap on your salary for the work you do based on my subjective notions of what is "justified," because I want to pay less for whatever the output is. If supply or demand conditions make something rise in price, price controls are a disaster that create shortages and allocate the good or service poorly. Prices are signals. The best actual cure for high prices is high prices because it brings demand down.

That isn't about "punishing" anyone. It's about living in reality and allowing people to transact freely.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

In your opinion is it ever necessary for government to regulate anything?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course. I am not an anarchist.

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

In your opinion is it ever necessary for government to regulate the conduct of businesses?

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted