1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Hey the FBI's budget is right about $13 billion a year.

When Quant does his part to help the GOP win Congress and they defund the FBI like the craziers are promising, we'll be all square. Problem solved!

dixiehack likes this.
  2. Justin_Rice

Which branch of government maintains the Department of Education's Federal Student Loans balance sheets?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

One of the two that isn't entrusted by the Constitution with the power of the purse.

4. Justin_Rice

Maybe we can just shift $13 billion around from places like "military housing," say it's because "we're building a wall," and you'll be less likely to raise objections here.

(And before you post it: Yes - this is me being completely hypocritical, because I don't hate this one ...)

Woody Long likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm fine with the shit-giving. I don't like the policy on this student loan one, but I like the process even less.

Justin_Rice likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When the Federal government went into the banking business and started to loan money to people, those loans became an asset on the Federal balance sheet.

When you tell the people who owe the money that they don't have to pay it back, the debt doesn't magically go away. It now becomes a liability on the Federal balance sheet.

We're all on the hook for that liability now, meaning taxation or the more likely scenario, our government borrowing money.

The whole thing is perverse for a variety of reasons, the biggest being that our government shouldn't be forcing citizens to assume other people's debts, with the president picking the winners and losers for whatever corrupt or non-corrupt reasons he or she has. And of course, as @doctorquant pointed out, Congress is supposed to have the power of the purse in our system, not the executive.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Yes, the girls are asking for it. JFC. Who listens to these people?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It continues to amaze me that Americans think that the president controls the goddamn gas prices. We are really a dumb fucking country.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He did to a small degree, because of his decision to release 200 million barrels of oil from the strategic petroleum reserve into the marketplace. And he took credit for bringing the price down.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

$3.04 per gallon for regular unleaded here. Maybe you should move.

Fred siegle and swingline like this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If it makes the monied class feel better, think of loan forgiveness as a bribe, or at least a pressure valve to prevent a bloody uprising. Or maybe we could park a few guillotines on Wall Street to concentrate the mind.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I mean, you're right, but "gas prices" is just one of the more determining factors in overall "ease of living." As someone here probably said 300 pages ago, gas is a staple whose cost is published every single day and which most Americans cannot abstain from. It's just a by-word for cost of living, mostly.

Draft saved Draft deleted