1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So, how does he pay this? Cash, credit or debit? Mow lawns and wash cars foe the next 100 years? I don't think the bankruptcy discharges this.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, your socioeconomic principles are such and so strongly held that the American two-party system is never gonna give you a choice you like. I mean, Joe Biden an authoritarian? That's really stretching the generally accepted meaning of that term, although by your principles, with which we are all familiar, it's not wrong exactly.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I really want to know why Joe Biden is hindering people from going to the beach. Like of all the things you're going to blame him for.....

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers for Trumpists everywhere.

wicked and Smallpotatoes like this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

$1 billion.

Jones will laugh in their faces, as he has done all along.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Quick story: 3 out of 5 seats up for election in local school board (K-8). Non-partisan. (Full disclosure I lost by 100 votes out of 10,000 12 years ago.) Neighbor is a fully committed parent, who has been immersed in the school inclusive issues (LGBQT and diversity) so she has my support. I wasn't even really taking note of election although heard issues about masking, schools opening, teaching racial history, etc. during COVID. Then was alerted a few months ago by my friend that there were full blown MAGA candidates. Oh they didn't declare overtly, but they were using the same coded themes (why did it take so long to open schools? we don't need to teach these things that make our kids feel bad; etc.) A month ago the splinter became readily apparent, the Gang of Three ran together with signs and mailers as a group. My neighbor and two incumbents had no choice but to align similarly. Well the big night is a Candidates Night hosted by the League of Women Voters. Guess what, the Gang of Three? NO SHOWS. One suspended his campaign saying he didn't like being attacked. Others gave some vague response for no-showing. I appeared at that function, are pointed questions asked? They were mild. Legitimate by those in the community. If you can't face that, how can we expect you to lead our district?

Bottom line, my naivete blinded me from thinking the cultural war would rear its ugly head near my home.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure what you think my socioeconomic principles are. But the most basic tenet of our system of government is that we all have a right to life, liberty and property, and our government must not violate those rights. If it helps you, I'm am hung up on the word authoritarian to describe the fact that his party, and how he has governed, has been largely predicated on the exact opposite of that.

Of course he's not an authoritarian like a banana republic dictator is an authoritarian. We have fairly free elections in this country, and even though our system of checks and balances that are supposed to protect our individual rights doesn't work anymore, we nominally have checks on Joe Biden's power (But the truth be told, there were even nominally checks on Donald Trump's power, and as precarious as things got, he actually wasn't able to manipulate his way into staying in office after losing).

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I’m not eye to eye with Ragu, but I do see how popular figures on the left, such as Bernie calling for specific people to be thrown in jail and railing against unfavorable media, can get my anti-authoritarian dander up.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That’s his problem.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Get your sun in
    Get the sand in
    Let's go Brandon

Under your beach umbrella
    Joe says watch it fella
    Don't forget the sunscreen
    Classified docs, where were they last seen?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A word of warning to us all.

This was discussed during out shop steward meeting last month when the topic of endorsements came up. This is the new Trumpist strategy, to take spots on local boards and use that to promote their agenda.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. One that got me was an op ed that John Fetterman wrote a month or two ago, in which he said he will prosecute the executives of companies that he feels are gouging consumers.

Draft saved Draft deleted