1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That’s good to know.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good points. Two polls out in Florida today both have Rubio (+7, +11) and DeSantis (+12, +14) up really big.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd argue it must have been the case, in many circumstances, in 2016 and 2020.

People just flat out lied in exit polls in 2004 and 2016 or they didn't want to say who they voted for. Early in both days, it looked great for Kerry and Clinton.

Here's a blast from the past, complete with a little election rigging conspiracy..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...t-polls/d895ea8c-b2ad-46ea-af6d-cc5acb011dd7/

Throughout election night, the national exit poll showed the Massachusetts senator leading President Bush by 51 percent to 48 percent. But when all the votes were counted, it was Bush who won by slightly less than three percentage points. Larger discrepancies between the exit poll estimates and the actual vote were found in exit polls conducted in several states. At the request of the media sponsors, Mitofsky and Lenski are continuing to examine exit polling in Ohio and Pennsylvania, two critical battleground states where the poll results were off.

The differences between the final exit poll results and the vote count revived criticisms of the exit polls fueled by consecutive election-night debacles in 2000 and 2002. They also fueled assertions that the exit poll results were accurate and that it was the vote count that was flawed or deliberately manipulated to deliver the election to Bush.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing ...

My daughter and her friend were at an apple festival in Biglerville, Pa., two weeks ago. As they were walking, they suddenly came next to Mehmet Oz.

The friend says, "Hmm. That's Dr. Oz." My daughter looks at him, about 24 inches away, and says, "Yeah, that's him." With an appropriate level of disgust.

Oz looked at them as if they were aliens and kept on walking.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Exit polls. OK, we're done here.

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I remember the disgusting midtown of my youth. You didn't want to touch anything.
    The Taxi Driver line about accidentally sitting in ejaculate, those proportions were accurate.

7. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

As the father of a Penn State alumnae, I would be in contact with a lawyer today.
    The better half and I are considering a train ride into NYC a couple of weeks before Christmas

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just make sure you don't go on SantaCon day. That's when Manhattan really is a dystopian hellscape -- albeit one with lots of red costumes.

wicked, rtse11 and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I used to take the bus from NJ into the Port Authority and walk to MSG. It was a time that pimps literally hung out in the PA looking for girls. 42nd street had more whores than Vegas. The best time of year was winter when the pretzels and chestnuts were warming outside. Manhattan’s scent was, cold garbage, warm piss and roasted chestnuts

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The shitty NY Post reporting on New York City pisses me off. Yes, some crime as ticked up. That is not unique to NYC over the past three years. But the tossing around of meaningless, misleading stats is off-the-charts irresponsible (yes, I'm aware it's the NYP). The percentages always need to be included with the fact that they're based coming off historic lows in the crime rate.

New York City is still among the safest, if not the safest, big cities in the U.S.

And fuck Rupert and the fucking NY Post. (Not the sports department, a lot of good people there).

Baron Scicluna and matt_garth like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

So, a bunch of incoherent,, obnoxious people dressed like fat, old white dudes clad in red....and it's not a MAGA rally?

Fred siegle and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

abbott-

There was rank-ass stench everywhere, but just mild enough so as not to overbear.
    'Donald Trump's New York' was a fuckin cesspit.
    It's a good thing that Uncle Rudy did.
    There, I complimented one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted