1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ve made my peace with a GOP sweep, and then God only knows how we get another honest national election after that. And I don’t want to hear anything afterwards about “Democrats should have catered more to groups X, Y and Z.” Voters have responsibility in a representative democracy and if they can’t be bothered to remember anything from Jan. 2021 on back, then they can take this good and hard like the rest of us. Time to grow up a little.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Also Dire Straits: "Calling Elvis."

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If they can "understand" inflation and crime, they can understand the GOP sitting on their hands about Jan. 6th.

4. Twirling Time

Over-under on GOP House pickup is 240. I think I will take the under, because there are some polling unmeasurables out there, but gerrymandering will carry the day.

In short, get ready for an impeachment a week. Once they run out of reasons, the last one's text will simply read "BECAUSE WE CAN" as a tribute to their proto-MAGA hero Eye of Newt.

5. DanOregon

If it helps the Dems clear out the old guard, (it might be the only way they ever step aside) it might not be all bad, esp. heading into a Presidential year - though who knows what happens with Biden. I think he'll do an LBJ and say he wants to "focus on working for the American people" thing. He wasn't a great campaigner in any of his previous runs, and COVID and Clyburn did most of the heavy lifting in '20.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

When does he announce this because once he does, he's the lamest of ducks. LBJ announced he wasn't seeking re-election on March 31, 1968. That is a beyond non-starter in today's world.

7. DanOregon

Agreed. My guess would be August of next year.

8. Twirling Time

LBJ did win New Hampshire. Albeit narrowly, but in today's NH that would be a massive win.

In today's world, that's leaving a third of primary delegates on the table and well after Super Tuesday. But 1968 was the last election that took place under the old setup where some states held primaries, and late ones in today's cycle (California's was June 4 where RFK met his fate). Starting in 1972 we see the familiar caucus-primary system in place.

(Little-known fact: Incumbent Gov. Ronald Reagan beat fellow Californian Nixon in the 1968 Cali primary.)

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Fred siegle, Inky_Wretch and garrow like this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Real America™ getting exactly the government it deserves yet again.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Might be an Upstate New York thing but I passed an absurd amount of huge Stefanik signs on the airport run to Albany.

Lot of infrastructure money being used up and down Hoosick Street in Collar City.

20221027_093207.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted