1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Probably not that often. And when they're together, they have her SS protection, right? So maybe private security would be more trouble than it's worth.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

She doesn't have Secret Service. She has Capitol Police.

Many of the stories make the point there's a security system at the house.

Who knows if it was armed, though.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At this point, I'm almost more worried for the country if the Dems retain control of the House and Senate, than if they lose it - given all the predictions of a good night for the Rs. Still, I look at Biden's approval rating of 45 percent, which is not terrible by recent standards, and how he is favored higher than Trump - and think the blues will stay blue, the reds red and the toss-ups will go two-thirds to the Rs. Though I think the Ds carry Georgia, PA and Arizona, which just might be enough for a hold of the Senate.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ah, OK.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There have been pre-Halloween stories about hazardous, possibly fatal items in Halloween candy since I was trick or treating. Razor blades, broken glass, and yes, drugs. It's an evergreen thing that is proof positive people have not gotten any smarter nor any less panicky over the march of time.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The kids have been getting very expensive free drugs for 30 years fro neighbors. Happy Halloween.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I thought rainbow fentanyl just turned kids gay.

OscarMadison, rtse11 and wicked like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One of the most disconcerting things about the ballot in NY now is that the state is down to only four recognized political parties, and it is really just two, because in 95 percent of cases, the Republican is also the nominee for the Conservative party and the Democrat is also the Working Families party candidate.

On my ballot, there is an election for state court judge for which you are electing 12 people, there are only 12 candidates on the ballot and each of them is listed as a Republican, a Democrat and a Conservative! That isn't an election, it's a coronation.

Almost all of the wacky third parties that used to populate my ballot have lost their ballot access in the last decade and it has left me with no options. I used to go to the poll, look at some Democratic incumbent hitched to the gravy train for life, see a Republican opponent that made me want to puke, and then I'd choose between third party candidates from the Green Party, Independence Party, Liberal Party (if it wasn't the same as the Democrat), Libertarian party, Reform Party, Serve America Movement and Women's Equality Party. The wackier the better and more likely to get my vote.

The problem is, none of those parties have spots on the ballot anymore. The only third party now -- for 2 races -- are some morons from the "Medical Freedom Party" who are trying to make their opposition to vaccines into a reason I should vote for them.

Even for the bigger races, this year my choices are particularly bad, because the Republican party doesn't even try, so it is the least serious group of candidates I have ever seen. It breaks down into morally bankrupt office climbers (who wouldn't stand up to the Trump idiocy) or unaccomplished people who were the only warm bodies around willing to waste months of their life (rather than having a career or doing something productive) for an office they have zero chance of winning.

So this year. ... I am reduced to writing in names for a bunch of offices rather than leaving the ballot blank. It's actually a fun exercise, particularly for the Congressional seat that is open in my redistricted area, because of some of the famous / well-known characters that I know live nearby.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone have any insight on what's going on in Nevada? Did the D chunk the debate?

And maybe Americans have just been rooting for bad behavoir for so long, whether it's the Real Housewives, Simon Cowell, or even origin stories of villians that they no longer know right from wrong. Or a particular problem taking on cops, or cheering on bad cops.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think I’ve responded enough to that clip.

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I've always wondered about the mechanics of getting a razor blade into candy.

Like ... how do you do it?

OscarMadison and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted