1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He was a better president than he was given credit for, and he was honest.

I wouldn't have bailed from the Olympics tho.

Liut and maumann like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No surprise, that's my biggest Carter gripe.

Fred siegle and maumann like this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think Jimmy Carter is the best former president we've ever had. His time in office will be one of those "he was a nice guy, but" kind of things.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the boycott was appropriate - hell, I didn't realize 64 other nations joined the boycott and only 80 actually participated, the fewest since 1956 (still). Always felt for Dick Enberg, because this was going to be "his" Olympics (and he never got another one in the big chair).

I'm sure there have been docs about it before, but the '80 Games would be a great centerpiece on a series of "lost" great sports moments. "Lost" meaning great stories that largely went uncovered by the US press at the time, could be black athletic accomplishments during Jim Crow, international events lost because they were overshadowed by other big news at the time etc.

Carter is an interesting dude, probably just he and Obama have won a Nobel Peace Prize, an (eventual for Obama) Medal of Freedom and a Grammy (Carter has 2).

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You can talk about something else anytime you like. But that isn’t insurance from people disagreeing with your take and letting you hear about it. Trust me, I’ve had some clunkers swatted Mutombo-style into the eighth row too.

Meanwhile this country has collectively just suffered through an emotionally abusive and traumatic presidency. How long should people get to process and discuss that trauma? Because you seem to be tapping your foot and staring at your watch just 29 days later.

tapintoamerica, lakefront and Liut like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fighting the mujahideen in Afghanistan. Bad in 1980. Great in 2001 and beyond. :)

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Carter met with Fed Chair Paul Volcker in 1979 at the height of the second gas crisis inflation surge. Volcker told him, "the Fed can end this (by raising interest rates and slowing the economy), but it means you probably won't get re-elected." Carter told him to do it anyway. That's more of a sense of duty than just about every other pol in my lifetime would've shown. Maybe McGovern would've. Most of the best ones on either side of the aisle would've tried to finesse the problem instead, to no avail on either ending inflation or getting re-elected.

maumann likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Seems like the muja's would've been pretty good Olympic athletes.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As long as they want. You see me making mass comments about what shouldn't be discussed?

I think my thoughts on Biden - or anything else but bloodletting regarding Trump - are viewed as impatience. Which is why posts about the current president seem to draw immediate mentions of the former one.

I'll concede I suggested the Conway family shitshow related to American Idol is low, pointless conversation. And that was probably unfair.

Liut likes this.
  12. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

No one is forcing you to post here.

Draft saved Draft deleted