1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it's going to remain tantalizing to dance with him, though, because he can get you to 55 to 60+ percent if you're in one of the party strongholds. The "problem" for the Republicans is that they're running out of opportunities to rig the map and/or the math. Like, they lost some of the seats they tried to gerrymander in Ohio. At a certain point, you have to appeal to new voters instead of just keeping the ones you have. When you account for the "bounce" factor of a midterm election against the President's party, it's hard to point to growth in the party outside of Miami and some of the Texas border towns.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Something I learned yesterday. In the 1930 midterm, the original result had 219 Republicans to 216 Democrats in the House, a major gain for the latter as the Depression was taking hold. Back then, the new Congress didn't get sworn in until the first week of March, a relic of the days when it took about two months to get from Illinois to DC. By the time the new Congress met, 16 of the elected representatives had died, and resulting by-elections and appointments gave the Democrats the majority. Sixteen out of 435 died in four months! Can you imagine the conspiracy theories if that happened today?

Driftwood likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's a start.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well, didn't a few House COVID-deniers die from Covid?

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have been watching the Nevada Senate race. Maito Cortez cut the margin from about 23,000 to 14,000 votes because the mail-in ballots are running very strongly for the Dems. Yesterday Clark County counted 14,000 votes and Cortex Maisto won these votes by 35%. I don't know the percentages in Washoe County but Cortez Masto went ahead in the county. If Cortez Masto continues running these margins in the mail-in vote the Dems hold the seat and guarantee 50 votes in the Senate.

I also think the Dems retain control of the House. I think a lot of the marginal seats where Republicans lead will flip to the Dems when all the mail votes are received. U.S.P.S. is the Democrats best friend.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  7. DanOregon

I think I might tune in to Levin and some of the other righties to see how they are handling this. They turned Trumper to save their shows, what now? Spend some time taking calls to read the room before making any bold proclamations?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Don’t remind me and not a chance in hell. Now get off my drought friendly community garden.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

I know a few boomers on the left who fully admit to not being as lefty as they once were. Suddenly they start worrying about home values as they edge toward retirement and how policies may impact their 401ks.

Liut likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

We’ve seen what happens when he’s on the ballot. He was not on the ballot in 2018, and he was not on the ballot the other day. As for USPS helping the Dems, I’m sure DeJoy has some Nevada ballots sitting under his desk in D.C. that won’t see the light of day.

Draft saved Draft deleted