1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Lots and lots of pending court cases, at least two of which (secret documents and Georgia election tampering) should take him out of the presidential campaign business.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Short answer: After years of work they finally have stuff --- and want to keep it. Not really all that outlandish at its most basic level.

Liut likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Gen Z turnout was very high, and the Republican response was "18 year olds should not be able to vote!". The R's are welcome to try to push through a Constitutional Amendment to change that, taking away yet another right from the citizens. I doubt that Gen Z would appreciate that or forget it if they tried. There are a *lot* of young voters who look at the Climate Change issue and are pissed off that nothing is being done, and they're not happy about being left holding the brown end of the stick. The D's may not have gotten a lot done (although Biden's bill made a legit start) but the R's are actively dragging their feet and still denying. I expect young people to continue to be a factor in the vote.

The R's think 18 is old enough to buy AR's. They think 10 and 12 year olds are old enough to be mothers, but 18 is too young to vote. If the 18 year olds vote against them, that is. Of course.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not at all BTE, I'm just glad they are conscious of it and saying that they their perspective has changed. I too get frustrated with those on the left demanding sacrifices from others - higher taxes, more gun restrictions, etc - that don't affect them.

And regarding Trump, Republicans will never be farther away from a primary than they are now. If they are going to dump Trump, do it quickly. Though I imagine in some places, you turn on Trump and you're done regardless.

BTExpress and maumann like this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Would that even move the needle at this point? He has already done and said so many stupid things. Does anybody not realize he is a lying hypocrite with serious mental deficiencies?

wicked likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The lack of gun restrictions does have a way of affecting others, not just the people who want guns.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yes, you have a lot of people in their 30s turning 40 who have stuff and want to keep it, but you also have a bunch of people in their 50s turning 60 who have been promised Social Security and Medicare their whole lives who want to keep that, too.

8. DanOregon

But imagine some red state, suddenly putting higher taxes on Starbucks type of places, electric cars etc. We've seen how people responded when there have been attempts on restricting what can be taught in schools. Books in libraries.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

No. Georgia was polarized from the moment Walker got nominated. The GOP doesn't care that he's a guy who carries a fake tin star in his wallet. They just want Warnock out and are willing to do anything to win that seat.

Nothing anybody says or does will change. What's going to affect the runoff will be election fatigue, weather, access to polling places, who needs to reach 50 and if Trump does or does not care. Despite the 2020 results and Warnock's slight lead after Tuesday, I really don't have a lot of confidence in getting the right folks to care about making the effort to vote in a runoff in this state, even if it's a critical victory to keep the Senate 50-50.

Olds and rural voters have nothing better to do than vote. It's really incumbent on the kids and minorities (again) to counter the rednecks. Warnock will get two from us before we leave.

I think Democrats better hope for a miracle in Nevada.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    wicked likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He dresses like my son in the winter. I'm honestly OK with that.

Fred siegle and wicked like this.
  12. DanOregon

The funny thing is TV and movie production people all DO dress like that. No matter their age.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted