1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Down to 8,900
    Ralston says she is

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Unless you lived in Detroit and saw the Tigers beat the Cardinals in the World Series
    That team did a lot to help the city heal after the riots of 1967

Liut, UPChip and maumann like this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, brother.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Somewhere, “the Captain” is spinning in his grave.

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

How does Hillary (smart gal!) lose to a guy who can't string together two sentences?

dixiehack, Matt1735 and HanSenSE like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I helped with the counting when the new union contract was approved in the spring. Our local runs from the Oregon border down to King City and inclues the Bay area. It was an all-day process, which had to be done by hand. Verifying signatures, then examining each ballot before sorting for any questionable ballot (one I challenged because both yes and no were checked). Fortunately, approval was a slam dunk.

If anyone thinks a statewide election is easy - it isn't.

wicked, Liut, tea and ease and 3 others like this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Her campaign truly was THAT tone deaf and entitled.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The GOP vilifying her since Bill was the Governor of Arkansas didn’t help.

9. HanSenSE

Another song comes to mind: "Second verse, same as the first. A little bit louder and a little bit worse."

At the rate Rupe and mainstream Republicans are jumping off the Trump train, he'll soon be down to the deplorables.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

Still feel the Dems' biggest mistake was going all-in with her early instead of having a true all-swim primary process, unless they were that afraid of Sanders getting the nod.
    Her flaws as a candidate on the stump were only amplified by following such a smooth public speaker as Oba. That she had a low, if any, profile in the general election speaks volumes.

wicked and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And to be that guy, I agree (I teach that era FYI). I should have specified clearer because I’m my head I was thinking it’s been as bad as the lead up to the war.

As far as 68, we were divided and it wasn’t certain where we would end up. The war was unpopular. Protests and violence in the streets. Riots. The Democratic convention nonsense.

This just feels worse. Call me crazy and I’ll listen. But as you pointed out we maybe closer to 1858 than 1968 today.

micropolitan guy and maumann like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's also a generation who learned duck and cover drills because the Republicans refuse to take steps to control guns. The olds who are used to Roe may be angry about it's repeal, but the Gen Y/Alpha are the young and horny people most likely to need help with reproduction services. Now throw in climate change, where Biden's bill is the first substantive step that we have taken as a country to begin to make necessary changes, and they know damn well that the rich old men who continue to protect coal and gas industry interests are going to leave them holding the bag. If they are minorities, they also get hit with more open racism and voter disenfranchisement.

These are the sort of major issues that form voters basic framework of expectation of their government.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted