1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Of course!

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Easy on Oaktown!! I worked there in class A buildings for 30 yrs. There are very nice areas of it with a nice eclectic mix of people. But yeah there are some not so nice areas.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rooting for a plus 3 GOP House, just for the laughs.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Lived at the intersection of Pleasant Valley and Piedmont, right next to the King's X and just down the street from Mountain View Cemetery. Loved driving up Skyline Boulevard. And the Grand Lake was awesome. But that was 1981-82.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the medical positions do not pay worth a warm bucket of spit. Of my forgettable eight months there, one hospital system expected me to work for about 30 percent less than a similar position in Colorado, which was not near a ski resort with a sky-high cost of living.

Another job with that same system involved telling people in ER to go home, but to encourage them to stop by certain clinics the next morning. That was not only against the law, but also dangerous to the health of some. That interview lasted about a minute when I stood up and said "are you prepared for the sh .., uh, complete mess when you do that with someone who, by the next morning, is either dead or permanently disabled?" When I got a pregnant pause, followed by a hollow "yes," that was that. So beware of your health care in Florida. Besides, they almost killed my stepfather with some really poor, egregiously stupid clinical decisions in the first 24 hours following a heart stoppage and rebound at home.

Also, if you ever need coverage for your vehicle, remember the Dickie Dunn "There's a lot of shysters in Florida" line. My coverage there was spotty because my carrier in Colorado blanched when I told them my vehicle was residing down there (I can only picture how petrified they would be of my current vehicle, which made that one look kinda tame).

Funnier still, the local paper would not do so much as talk to me, but a metro was glad to bring me from a few states away.

Anyway, hope your stays in Florida have been and will be better than mine. If I never see that state again, it will be too soon.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman and Slacker like this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My parents lived in Florida their last 18 years, in Punta Gorda. They loved the weather for 10 months of the year, had great neighbors, convenient shopping, etc. They voted, but were not overly political. So it was a great place for them.

I enjoyed visiting them in January/February, because of the weather, and we had three family reunions on Sanibel at different times of the year. It's a nice place to visit, but no way could I live there. Never.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Most people crap bigger'n Hawley.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I don't know, he's easily 75 Courics.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Umm, ya know what? Georgia sucks, too. All of the Deep South. And plenty of other places.
    Probably the dumbest (employed adult) person I've ever met was a hotel desk clerk in Tifton, Ga.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a Californian, I've had the opportunity to visit the following the past couple of years:

Nashville;
    Atlanta;
    Cape Canaveral/Orlando;
    Charlotte/Raleigh;
    Houston/Austin
    It would be easy for me to say "the South" and "Southwest" sucks and California's great! But in reality its much more refined than that. I've met (and work with) really nice people from all of those areas. And there are some real A**holes in CA. I do my best to avoid prejudging people and subscribe to "come what may". I am grateful that there are not as many MAGA clowns in my town/area/state as elsewhere but that doesn't mean that not 10 mi. from me are not MAGA flags flying. I only hope WE all get back to trying to be a federalist country as "the Founding Fathers intended."

Draft saved Draft deleted