1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There are good and crappy individuals everywhere.

As a collective, though, I think religion has the least influence on government in California, Oregon and Washington than on any other group of states in the country. And for me, that's why the West Coast is a great place to live. No blue laws or some Bible-thumping asshole deciding what I can or can't do.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If the South is so bad, why do so many yankees come down here and wind up staying?
    I've never heard a single southerner say, "I want to retire and move up north."

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Duck that.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Weather. Plain and simple. Older people like it warm.

Plus they want to find the cheapest place to live (ie, low taxes), since they don't need good schools any more.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

You have fingered the pulse of my county.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The South is great as long as you don't pay too much attention to what is going on. There is a grim, bloody magic to the region and I love it, but it's hard to not fall into a permanent state of rage and despair when you see everything from a worm's eye view all the time. Sometimes I think hatefulness is my people's spiritual lidocaine.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It really takes some work to blow the number of Senate races the GOP has blown over the years, particularly with their cash advantages.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Dear Herschel:

Again, I must say:
    You is a dumb fuck.

Love, Mama

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think big intramural fight is coming to the GOP, with Trumpism on one side and...Cheneyism? Romneyism?...on the other. Democrats will aide the first side - they already have - because it's beatable, and the second side has to decide what it stands for that is distinct from Trumpism.

I doubt the GOP has any earthly idea what that is.

Trumpism, morally ugly as it is, filled a vacuum that had formed in the party after Romney's loss. DeSantis, in theory, could be on the Romney side of the divide, but he seems an awful lot like Trump.

The larger question could be how the GOP approaches the voting structure questions. Mail-in voting and drop-offs are convenient. How long can the GOP tenably argue to voters that it is against convenience? (It can untenably argue it for a long time, but it's hardly convenient.)

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted