1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And it isn't like the W and K are anywhere close on a keyboard.

SFIND and Spartan Squad like this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That gets weirdly complicated.

For the vast majority of her TV career Lake was an affable, liberal, Obama-loving pothead.

Then she saw the attention Trump got -- along with people who loudly supported him -- and she seemingly wanted a piece of that. She would read a story on air and then adlib "If you want the real story, check out my latest post on Parler!" Coworkers say she was obsessed with the number of people who "liked" her posts.

Station management (at a Fox O&O) told her to knock it off, and before long she was on "family leave." Everyone knew she was about to announce her run because her lawyers sent out warning letters to her former friends and co-workers to try to keep them from publicly discussing what she's like.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sounds like the affable weatherman over the border from you in New Mexico, Mark Ronchetti. He was a climate-change explainer and perfectly normal guy before suddenly getting the itch to first run for Senate then after losing that race, sticking around to run for governor where he became an anti-aborton, pro-Trump openly racist wack job (and lost worse this time).

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Seriously: He's going to declare candidacy tomorrow because he thinks it makes him immune to prosecutions.

Baron Scicluna and garrow like this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It'd be funny as hell if Fox News doesn't air it.

garrow likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So even if you are a weatherman you don't know which way the (political) wind blows.

"You can't arrest me, I'm running for president!"

The best defense strategy since Twinkies.

"Sir, you're speeding."

"You can't arrest me, I'm running for president!"

garrow likes this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

She just provided everyone with the autopsy report on her campaign.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Roe anger was huge in the midterms (and that isn’t going away). Youth turnout was a big factor. And the the fear of losing meaningful democracy resonated.

I’m pretty stunned, as a believer that “it’s the economy, stupid” always wins. This time was different, despite high inflation. The electorate is more engaged and getting smarter.

The very weird thing is the New York City suburbs are going to a big reason the GOP will win the House by a slim margin. The crime messaging worked, even though it’s a bit overblown.

Is crime worse in NYC? It is. As it is everywhere. In NYC the increases are based on historic lows. It’s not the 70s, 80s or early 90s. It’s the safest big city in the country. If not the world.

But, the crime message and bad Dem turnout will flip the House. Could be a lot of one-termers in New York State.

The people who actually live in NYC voted Dem. NY Post-reading commuters/people who occasionally go into the city gave the ‘burbs to the GOP in close races.

Don’t know for sure if it would have mattered, but fuck Tribune/Alden for destroying the NY Daily News. The NY Post operated in a vacuum, telling the false tale the city is a hellscape. Which is total bullshit.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

They sure showed that by rejecting Lake.

micropolitan guy, garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I do not - and will never - understand the new blasé attitude Democrats have toward general crime. How they can (correctly) feel one way about crimes committed with assault weapons and then pull a “it ain’t that much crime people!” schtick on general crime seems two-faced. (The GOP is two-faced about it too.)

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted