1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Stabenow is leaving at the end of her 2024 term. Michigan seems reliably blue again, so who's the replacement?

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Mayor Secretary Senator Pete!

wicked likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Distilled, this proposes that the American people have always been secretly yearning to vote for rightists and we simply haven’t given them that chance.

I don’t like my chocolate that dark.

I think since 1994 and Newt Gingrich, the American people cannot even trust their Congress to pass a budget. They’ve blamed that intransigence on all members of Congress, not just the YAF, Moral Majority, John Bircher loons.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Michael's right, except that phenomenon doesn't seem to transfer to individual members of Congress.

"Congress sucks! (except for my congressperson!)"

sgreenwell, wicked and SFIND like this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I know this is what every person is taught to be true. My wife ran campaigns and still swears by it. I don’t think that will hold up to a MAGA assault on competency. I think the local guy is toast, too. Purity tests will see to that over time.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In 2022, with public opinion on the wrong track/right track question setting a record high for wrong, well over 90 percent of incumbent House members were re-elected. All but one incumbent Governors were re-elected. All incumbent Senators were re-elected. This doesn't count open seats, which did and always do change party hands more frequently.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

State Sen. Mallory McMorrow

Twirling Time likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My congressman's office was in constant contact with us when I invoked his help regarding my wife's 20-month wait for green card renewal (which did come a few weeks later).

An individual congressperson CAN make a constituent feel like he's being looked after, even if it's smoke and mirrors most of the time.

wicked likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Is there a theory as to why Michigan seems to have stabilized? Did the plot against Whitmer wake people up to the danger? Flint? All of the above?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Strong organization, strong candidates and the heavy involvement of many top Michigan Republicans in the post-2020 election shenanigans turned off a lot of suburban voters. Did not hurt that there was an abortion rights measure on the ballot in 2022 either.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Downfall. I think it’s appropriate here.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If the GOP had any sense, they'd gavel the House to order today and then immediately adjourn.

But they don't, so the train wreck continues.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted