1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Every female under age 25 in FL-1, for starters...

sgreenwell and HanSenSE like this.
  2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Dan Bishop made a similar threat a couple of days ago. I look forward to him following through, though I doubt he will.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, that's not true (not that it matters). The spending bill Joe Biden signed was $1.9 trillion. The one Donald Trump signed was $900 billion (not trillion). The one Obama signed in 2009 was $800 billion.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with my point. Joe Biden (or Donald Trump) has very little impact on the month to month jobs number, which is why I always find those reactions silly. Our economy has operated for a long time on the relative growth of the money supply (i.e. -- how much mispriced debt a central bank is enabling). The president doesn't directly control that.

What I was saying was that the closest Joe Biden personally has come to having an impact on the economy in that granular of a way, was the spending bill. Putting money in people's pockets didn't create any jobs (in fact, we have created so many disincentives to work the kinds of lower wage jobs that remain unfilled, that the labor force participation rate is less than 63 percent), but they essentially helicopter dropped money and created a lot of artificial demand for which there was not enough supply (and labor to meet that supply). That artificiality looks to have mostly filtered through, but not entirely (which is why the monthly job gains are getting smaller, just not small enough for the Fed, which is eager to create unemployment right now, because they think they need it to stem the consumer price inflation).

If you look at what they put out this morning, it was the second straight monthly decline in average hours worked, and the 34.3 hours was the lowest since April 2020, when Covid was hitting. Employers typically cut hours. ... before they start cutting jobs. If you look (anecdotally), the layoffs have started already with the largest companies that are more likely to get in front of what they think is coming.

Salesforce to Lay Off 10% of Staff and Cut Office Space
    Amazon will lay off more than 18,000 workers | CNN Business
    Goldman to cut thousands of staff as Wall Street layoffs intensify -source

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nehls is eight years older than Burnett. Oh, and he was fired as a cop for destroying evidence. And people wonder how the GOP became this way.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello, police? I’d like to report a murder. good for Pete for standing up for his spouse.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Baier couldn't get into the next question fast enough lol.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It'll be way easier for Congress for 6 votes to slide to Jeffries than for 18 to slide to McCarthy.

There are 18 Republicans from districts carried by Biden.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

so many questions to just ask so little time

Woody Long likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And Monday we get a vote of no confidence and we start all of this again.

They need a Republican from a Biden district to be nominated and get Dems and Republicans to join. Then punish the fuck out of Gaetz and company.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’m busy watching other nonsense while I have my coffee, do they have 434 or did some go home?

Draft saved Draft deleted