1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Movements need martyrs, and it surely has occurred to the Murdochs that Trump would make a much better martyr than leader.

garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

More to the point, Republicans need Trump gone asap, and if Fox News throws him under the bus he is gone sooner. They hope.

3. Neutral Corner

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Do you imagine that Rupert Murdoch (or Lachlan or James or any other Murdoch) are feeding Karl Rove a white board and telling him what his narrative should be before he goes on the air for a segment like that?

5. Michael_ Gee

No, of course not. But I'm confident Fox producers and executives lower down the food chain 1. Knew what Rove thought about the issue before he went on the air and still went ahead and had him discuss it. There are plenty of other issues in the Fox Cinematic Universe they could have had Rove address 2. Know even better what is expected of them by the men on the top.

SFIND and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A short briefing, saying a handful of papers were found and turned over to the National Archives and that the White House is cooperating with DOJ, would've squashed this. One thing about Biden's administration is that the comms shop seems to get caught off-guard too much for my tastes.

I had ABC News on in the background last night and the first three minutes were all about these documents. I'm normally not one to bitch about both-sidesism, but there is a big difference between the two cases.

HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can see that.

I also think Karl Rove is a staple of that channel. They put him on and he does Karl Rove. So what I imagine is that they put him on, confident that whatever he is going to say is going to be generally consistent with something generally Fox Newsish.

If you are talking about their anchors or their opinion show idiots, I imagine it is a different story. But not with something like that. I don't think that the "Fox News message" is calibrated to the extent a lot of people think, where a guest (or even their usual contributors) are like ventriloquist dummies being operated by the Murdochs.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Sure, it's a story. Biden's people knew it was a grenade as soon as they found out about it. The bottom line, though, is that these files were found in a secure document lockup. When they were found, NARA was immediately called to come get them. No one had to spend months trying to get them back,, no one was lied to about them, and there is no reason to speculate that there may be many more distributed around the country in defiance of NARA laws. Add that Biden had Top Secret clearances the entire time, as opposed to Trump who did not.

It's only a story because Trump did it first and much worse, because Biden's response was absolutely by the numbers and unremarkable, exactly as it should have been handled once they were found. Trump's response was anything but.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I saw online that the Saudis are buying/about to buy the WWE. More sportswashing!

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Stelter.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Again, no of course not. But producers tell every on-air guest or contributor what's going to be the topics of their segment ahead of time. That's TV news SOP. And the guest/contributor says, "well, I think X about Y" in the course of that briefing. My point is, none of what was said came as a surprise to Fox News. If it had been a red line opinion for the top of Fox News, middle and program management would've known that well ahead of time, too.
    It is unquestionably in the best electoral interests of the GOP to have Trump as a victim of the evil gubmint a/k/a a jury of his peers in 2024 rather than as a candidate for President. His self-pity capacity is off the charts. He'd make a dandy martyr.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted