1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Bugs Bunny shorts of all time.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'll bite. Where was this written?

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Trump's scam fell apart and looks like he bought about $4 million of his own worthless superhero trading cards. Don't collect them all.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Can you expand on that?

When those NFT's went on sale, the reports said that the sales generated $4.5 million.

Are you saying that those sales were all Trump buying them himself?

I find it hard to believe, mostly because that isn't a Donald Trump kind of thing to do. He's done plenty of things that were silly (some massive failures), but he usually leaves someone else holding the bag for it. It wouldn't be in character for him to waste $4 million of his own money that way.

If those NFT sales were real, I also wouldn't say his "scam fell apart." It's true that on the aftermarket, the NFTs all depreciated in value and some of them are near worthless today. But by the time that was happening, he had already been paid -- whatever amount he saw from the $4.5 million in sales as part of his deal with the shady entity behind it. So if anything, his "scam" probably worked. He got paid a few million dollars for lending his name to something ridiculous, and some shmucks are now sitting on something worthless for having bought what he was selling. Which, if true, would be a fairly Trump-like outcome.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

The fuck else is going to buy a set of badly Photoshopped Trump screensavers?

It was a pump and dump. This clown doesn't have more than two or three formations he runs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Would that be a permissible purchase for a PAC? My knowledge of campaign finance law is limited. Didn’t the RNC buy a looooot of copies of Junior’s book so it made the failing NYT’s best-seller list?

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My understanding was that they priced the NFTs at $99 each, and they took home $4.5 million.

The price then spiked (one sold for more than $43K) and crashed.

That certainly has all the earmarks of a pump and dump scheme, if it was a market you could easily short into (can you even?) I am just not sure what you are alleging. Are you saying that they didn't really sell the NFTs to others at $99 each, and instead he bought them all himself, then somehow pumped the price up (how?), and he dumped them? What proof do you have of that? And if he did that, how did he profit, because it doesn't make much logical sense. He would have made no more from doing that than the $4.5 million he could make much more easily by selling them to others for $99 and sitting back and counting the money he earned.

My guess is that it was what it looks like: 1) He lent his name to something ridiculous and got paid for it. 2) They sold $4.5 million worth of NFTs. 3) There was a ton of demand for them, and they had no trouble selling them. 4) Then, in the aftermarket, the price did (obviously) get pumped up (my guess more on a speculative frenzy than someone trying to manipulate it higher), and it became a game of who would get holding the bag. 5) The price collapsed (because in the end, people were paying thousands of dollars for something that is intrinsically worthless and sanity eventually wins).

If that did happen, it actually isn't a "failure." He sold someone the right to use his name and banked whatever he saw of the $4.5 million they sold.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What the fuck does he care, considering the trillions of dollars in looted cash he and Monkey Boy Mnuchin have stashed away in airplane hangars in Russia and other friendly climes? $4 million bucks in $100s fits in one of those medium sized duffel bags kids drag to travel softball tournaments.

[​IMG]

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Much like Pence just did the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted