1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I always felt Republicans and Democrats were a ying/yang that balanced each other out. Too much of one for an extended period of time was not good in the long run for America. Business and military for a spell then helping the poor and needy for a spell.

Now, fuck. It’s playing to the insanity of the zealots just to keep their votes. The GOP has moved so far away from their center of twenty years ago, that it’s just crazy to see any benefit of them taking power. I don’t see democrats so crazily trying to move things to their side but more trying to bring the GOP back to the Reagan and Bush years.

We’re fucked as a country.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Gutter likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What was the GOP's center in 2003?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When's Clarence get his Christmas tree?

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Probably something not close to, "The FBI is a marxist organization full of Democrats who are trying to unfairly jail conservatives," "We need to do all we can to restrict trade and pull away from globalism," and "STOP THE STEAL!"

I can check with noted Liberals Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney for more details.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Or the vice president at the time, Dick Cheney.

I mean, I remember pretty damn well what the GOP was in 2003.

I believe there were still terrorist threat level monitors on TV screens.

Look, there's probably a really good (and probably pointless) discussion to be had about the, uh, maximalist nature of Republicans 20 years ago. What they thought could achieve their superior morals and whatnot. But it didn't win them any friends among progressives.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you don’t support our war for oil, er, freedum, you don’t support our troops who don’t cut and run and you hate America.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Killing brown people.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My point is, post 1960, progressives didn't have much use for Republicans at all. The nice ones. The mean ones. The monstrous ones. And now that the party has truly become a James Bond villain - now that some of progressives' feelings actually match up with the facts - I'm not sure how willing either side is to change.

Republicans kind of enjoy villainy. Dangerously so.

If I was going to pinpoint what's changed in 20 years, it's that. Republicans saw themselves as saviors 20 years ago. Not so much now, despite any rhetoric to the contrary. MTG doesn't see herself as saving anything. She's a destroyer. It is a grim, unpleasant vision.

Draft saved Draft deleted