1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's worth remembering a big part of that recent spike was the pandemic, and people being locked up together and the increase in domestic violence.

There was an increase in general recklessness too, including traffic deaths and so on.

Neighborhood-by-neighborhood, a great deal of the urban violence so frightening to Kellyanne Conway is confined to the poorest wards of every city, mostly among communities of color. Folks about whom I'm willing to guess she cares not at all.

That said, desperation and fatalism are terrible things wherever we find them, whether we're talking about Akron or East St. Louis or Stockton.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

There was nothing I could ever say or show to my dad that would convince him NYC wasn't the same now as it was the one time he was there in the mid '70s.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

as they project everyone else being the diddlers

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There is nothing I could ever say or show to my wife to get her to ride a NYC subway. We took a bus from Chelsea to The Cloisters the last time we were there. D.C. metro she's fine with.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Let’s not overlook the “lawless city” trope has become code for “whole lot of blacks live there” among those who say it.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Or the way old guys in my area bear down and slowly pronounce Memphis.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We have an incredible amount of gun crime and death in America. A good chunk of it is in the cities. This is inarguable.

We have right-wing terrorism problem in America too. A single act of it is too much. But no one decent should or is arguing: “Well, it was way worse in 1995.” Because it’d be morally wrong to leverage the OKC bombing for a language arts with numbers argument.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When's the next GQP big city practice?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

More than 80 percent of Americans live in urban areas.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

She is saying that Chicago is more unsafe than it was in 1996. She isn’t doing based on any evidence but on the fact that she’s trying to score right wing talking points that cities are crime riddled hellscapes. Again, I am quite sure she has spent little time in Chicago and that if she has, it is from the airport to some conference or meeting.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Keep fucking that chicken. Jeez.

Fred siegle and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted