1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Tim Scott "exploring" running for President is interesting. Figured the conventional wisdome is that non-Trumpers wanted a smaller field to at least make Trump's path harder. The more people taking a chunk of the non-Trumper vote will only help Trump secure the nomination. Plus another South Carolinian (Hailey) is already in. Could people be thinking DeSantis has had a "failure to launch" and they need another non-Trumper to rally around?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You are aware that Conway explicitly said Chicago is less safe than it was in 1996, correct? "Progressives" aren't just saying this out of thin air.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's not just major metros that get a bad rap when it comes to outsiders thinking they are hellscapes.

I live in a city of 90,000, MSA is (I think) around 275,000. People in the outlying suburbs and exburbs say the same sort of things about our little city being "dangerous" and "crime-riddled" as they do about y'all's metros. We've had one murder so far this year during a convenience store robbery. On the local media sites, there are all kinds of "Why can't the police do something about all this crime!?!" posts and "this city is a lot more dangerous than it used to be!" posts.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I don’t know a ton about Tim Scott. I’m sure I disagree with him on about everything.

But he doesn’t strike me as a lunatic. That being said, he has no shot here.

Small field, big field. I don’t think it matters. Trump is getting the nomination.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If you do your own research, the ballooning rate of crime in urban centers becomes almost impossible to deny.

Just watch some Mayberry R.F.D., a rural crime show in which the biggest problems were the town drunk and a lovelorn rock thrower, and compare that to the horrors of NYPD Blue or Chicago P.D.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Every city is going to have bad neighborhoods. Bad people exist. Those bad people are going to feast on the weakest. All we can do is help the weakest, to the best of our ability.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

. . . and fireworks:

Firework-related injuries treated at emergency departments in the United States during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 compared to 2018–2019

Conclusions
    Firework-related injures saw a substantial increase in 2020 compared to the two years prior, corroborated by a proportional increase in consumer firework sales. Increased incidence of firework-related injuries was detected even with the exclusion of the month of July, suggesting that the COVID-19 pandemic may have impacted firework epidemiology more broadly than US Independence Day celebrations.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Never heard Otis call anyone a jagoff.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I grew up and have lived in cities almost all my life. Where we live now is great — low crime and very few “pockets” that are the least bit dangerous.

But my wife’s family, all deep Pennsyltucky mud people, think we live in a liberal hellscape with marauding hordes of minorities raping and pillaging.

While Kellyanne isn’t interested in anything but owning libs, there are people who actually think that and are paralyzed by fear, mainly because they’re not used to any non-white people or a population density higher than 1 person per square mile.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

FIFY

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Tim “the kids are learning more about CRT than ABCs” Scott is just another idiot who panders to the base, but just doesn’t sound like a lunatic when doing so.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted