1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, even the greatest trials have many periods of dry, tedious testimony and other interruptions. Remember O.J. trial and the jury having to take a DNA 101 course?

Think of baseball with a pitch clock of 5 minutes (Hi, BYH2!).

Oftentimes like that.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm always a little surprised when I say "journalist" or "writer" - and wind up seated on a jury.

But I'm also one of the few people I know who really enjoys it. Especially when we get to order whatever we want for lunch!

That our local courthouses have been swallowed up by our ever-expanding Chinatown is a chowhound feature, not a bug.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don’t know if the FCC would try and strip Fox’s broadcast licenses over sins by its cable arm. That seems like a move that would really backfire.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I got kicked out of a jury room right before I was going to be seated because they said I worked for the state. True, I work for our state golf association, but we are not affiliated with the state at all. I tried to explain, they wouldn't have it, then I was like, hell, this gets me out of the jury pool for at least three years. So I was happy to vamoose at that point.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I had a jury trial which lasted almost 4 months. We went through over 1,000 potential jurors before we were able to find enough to serve (Bob Hurley, Sr. was called but said he couldn’t serve). The case settled after closing arguments.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That’s how people know you’re a journalist or former journalist. You’ll do anything for free food. :)

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't say I enjoy it. ... but I do see it as a civic duty. So I never try to get out of serving. I actually would be the juror who I think errs on the side of the defendant more than the typical person does, because I'd rather see a guilty person go free than an innocent person get sent to prison without a very stringent presumption of innocence applied.

I really want to sit on a criminal trial jury, but I never get chosen.

I got called a few months ago. It was a rape trial.

When the prosecutor and the defense attorney were questioning prospective jurors, the style they both used was to ask leading or rhetorical questions, getting a juror to give the obvious answer and then using it as an opportunity to expound.

The defense attorney was talking to the prospective jurors and went on a shpiel about how if his client doesn't testify during the trial it doesn't necessarily mean anything about his innocence or guilt.

He then turned to me and said, "Can you think of any reasons why he might not testify?" And I said, "Sure." And he said, "For example?" And I said, "If he actually did it, and you don't want him to be cross examined by the prosecutor?"

Behind him, I could see prosecutor laughing.

I didn't get picked for the jury.

10. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Just got summoned for the first time. I'll be serving in Federal Court starting May 8. Being that I have a masters and a J.D., I doubt I'll get impaneled, but I'm interested to see it from the other side, having both assisted counsel at jury trials during law school and covered several trials during my career.

garrow, sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I was once in the federal jury pool for nine months. I had to show up three times (if I remember right) and never got put on a jury. Out of 50 potential jurors each time, I was the only person who wore a suit, and I used big vocabulary words during the selection process.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd love to be on one of those jurys that always seems to decide a police shooting is justified - though I know the DAs can do pretty much whatever they want with the cases.

Draft saved Draft deleted