1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Looking back, and also looking forward:

What scares me now is not that the Tucker I knew was kind to his support staff, silly enough to choose the word “bowtie” as his computer password, irritable enough to complain about the smell of Bob Novak’s microwave popcorn, young enough to trade gossip with the even younger staff, and self-conscious enough to use rubber bands to keep his dress socks up under his khakis. Nor even that Tucker somehow morphed into an powerful right-wing nationalist whipping Americans into a fervor.

What scares me is that it’s not who Tucker is that matters. It’s what he made possible. At Crossfire, it was smaller stuff that crossed boundaries behind the scenes and pushed limits on-air. At Fox, the antics were crueler, the audience bigger, and the impact more consequential. It was Tucker doing what he always had: making money by telling millions of people what they wanted to hear and already believed. The only question now is: What comes next?​

The Jokes Tucker Carlson Told in Private When I Worked for Him — Slate

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

The party of small government and limited federal power … with one exception:

The most sweeping Comstock Act arguments from anti-abortion activists could at the very least end the availability of medication abortion, which make up the majority of abortions in the US today, and could have the effect of eliminating surgical abortions as well by restricting the shipment of medical instruments and supplies used in the procedure. …

A fight over the reach of the law and how it can be deployed is beginning to brew in court. It has also been on the radar of state and local officials. But the the end goal is a GOP-led federal government willing and empowered to wield the law in a way that could make it impossible for abortion providers to operate.​

The 150-year-old chastity law that may be the next big fight over abortion — CNN Politics

4. 2muchcoffeeman

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m going to stick up for Tucker on one front.

Anyone who uses a communal microwave to make popcorn is a terrorist. Your choice in snack has dominated everyone else’s meals and nostrils for the next 12 hours.

OscarMadison and Regan MacNeil like this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

Better popcorn than left-over fish.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Straight to Gitmo.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So my gourmet line of microwave tinned-fish popcorns is not a good idea?

I wish someone had said something before we bought that sardine fleet.

Damn.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

rtse11 likes this.
  12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Not in the slightest. Just like the promise of overturning Roe kept the Christian right mobilized since the 70s, the promise of working for a national ban -- either a blanket ban via act of Congress or a state-by-state approach -- will keep them mobilized and motivated now.

Draft saved Draft deleted