1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's obviously a hard story for many major news organizations to play, the border stuff. First, they're nowhere near the border. Second, though it could be an unmitigated disaster, the thinking on issues related to the border has become so childish and morally simplistic in the social media age - Trump encouraged it, but so did Twitter screechers on the left - that the Biden admin almost can't win.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

This Sunday on HBO's "Suck Session":

Kendall Trump: Look, if we're being honest...
    Shiv Trump-Kushner: That'll be a first...
    Kendall: .....we all know the old man is a sexual predator and....
    Shiv:....a racist, fascist, conman traitor
    Roman Trump: But we have to ignore all that....just to OWN THE LIBS! That is the most important thing!
    Shiv: More important than your bank account?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Should we alter our laws permanently to say we will no longer adjudicate asylum claims?

Also, from what you describe the Tik Tok thing is a non sequitur. If it didn’t exist they would use some other form of social media to communicate the same message.

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not suggesting my father run for Senate.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's in the business of getting ratings that CNN has been bleeding, so I'd take his self-serving stuff for what it's worth.

But I think 2 things:

1) I have no problem with CNN having done the town hall or giving Trump a forum. Pretending he doesn't exist or that the morons in the audience don't exist, isn't going to magically not make him the front runner for the GOP nomination. This is America, idiotic as it is, and it's not going to go away or change by pretending Trump doesn't exist. If anything, to the extent that any of the gazillion people who pay no attention to the world around them might have seen any of it, it will do more to make Trump unviable than it will help him. He'll have the idiots who will cheer any moronic thing he says, but the reason he won in 2016 were people who thought "What have we got to lose? The same old ain't doing it." The more people like those see him, the more they realize what they have to lose (although I get the argument that if they haven't figured that out alread yafter his one term and everything since, they are beyond help).

2) Having said that I have no problem with CNN having run it -- I think it was actually good that they did -- they did a shitty job of it. Trump ran over Kaitlan Collins. They needed someone with a measure of gravitas, who was really well prepared and could stand up to Trump much better than she was able to. They weren't going to sacrifice Jake Tapper on that alter, but I can't help but think he would have done a better job of commanding the room, keeping Trump from taking it over and of challenging some of the bullshit.

Last edited: May 11, 2023
    sgreenwell, HanSenSE and Liut like this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Verbatim. Dixie. Verbatim.

Wicked, we've met. More than once. Think the world of you, and believe you're not trying to stoke people.

But this reads like Boom somehow returned. I don't think that's what you're trying to do, but this is how it reads.

Stop.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Do you think that’s the key question? Whether we adjudicate them? Or whether it’s really asylum? Or whether - and this may be the place to start - American people are simply aware of the sheer volume of refugees coming into tie country.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Well said.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

masterclass

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The key question to me is whether we take in refugees or we don’t. Because that’s supposed to be a part of who we are, not only according to the squishes on the left like me but also for the folks who keep banging the drum about being a “Christian nation.” So are we about the things we say we’re about or nah?

Now that doesn’t mean I’m saying nobody gets screened and we take all comers like it’s 1870 or something. Properly fund the investigators and the administrative law judges and all that. But this feels like a pretty existential line to me.

Also, there was always going to be a surge after we created a bottleneck. I’m sure DocQuant has some power point slides he isn’t using anymore that can illustrate.

WriteThinking likes this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Doubt he would literally know that.

Draft saved Draft deleted