1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I figure there's a good chance a grand jury won't indict.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's not. It's the practical answer to questions of civil order on mass transit.

As Songbird asked upthread. Are there survival rules on the subway?

Yes.

Get up and move being one of the first.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Not the person you asked, but I think it will be extremely difficult to get a manslaughter conviction under the circumstances, and I worry that a jury returning a not guilty verdict will do more harm than if the district attorney declined to prosecute. To me, it's at best a 75/25 case in favor of the defendant.

4. doctorquant

That's not civil order ... That's what I'd do my damnedest to do, mind you, but "let the loon have his way" ain't an attempt to effect civil order.

Azrael likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You gonna fight every loud, chesty college kid on the D Train?

6. franticscribe

So apparently in New York the District Attorney has the authority to bring charges without presenting them to the grand jury, first, and that's what Alvin Bragg did in this case. It would be reasonable to assume that he did it that way out of concern the grand jury might not indict.

7. doctorquant

Only when you've softened 'em up.

Azrael likes this.
  8. doctorquant

Right, that's as I understand it. You can't try 'em without an indictment, though.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Depends on what the investigation turned up.

Part of the problem here - and part of what Ragu and I were arguing about - was the tardiness of the police investigation.

They arrived late enough that many of the witnesses had already left the scene after this happened.

Only after the ME's office deemed it a homicide did the cops issue a wider call for witnesses to come forward. By then the pictures of Penny and Neely on the floor had been circulating for a couple days.

Hence the protests.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Which I do generally with my one-two punch of wisecracks and relentless dialectic.

Failing that, I get up and move.

doctorquant likes this.
  11. franticscribe

Is that right? I don't know New York criminal procedure. We can avoid a grand jury here by having what we call a "probable cause hearing" in front of a judge. About the only time prosecutors use it is when they want a case to get tossed though.

If the case still has to go to a grand jury, I imagine they'll get the indictment since the DA not only controls what evidence gets introduced but New York is one of those jurisdictions - one thing I do know about NY crim pro - where the prosecutor is in the grand jury room during presentation and can make argument.

doctorquant likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Most people do try to avoid problem people on the subway. They do the look away, eyes down, hope they can get to their stop and get away from it thing.

It's not ALWAYS possible.

This was probably about 15 years ago. ... An erratic homeless guy (no idea if he was schizophrenic or on something), was pushing through people in a subway car I was in, and getting in people's faces and yelling and cursing at them. Everyone was trying to do the look away thing so as not to attract him. He finally made his way to me, and started yelling at me . He was fixated on the fact that I was wearing a suit (I was on my way home from a meeting). I tried to ignore him, but if you have been in a situation like that, 3 or 4 subway stops feels like an eternity. I finally told him to cut the shit, which got him going even more aggressively.

When I got to my stop, I had a strong sense that something bad was about to happen so I had my head on a swivel, and just as I stepped onto the platform he took a swing at me from behind. Either because he was under the influence of something, or because I was watching from the corner of my eye and I was ready for it, I saw it coming and dodged the punch, and instinctually turned and rammed my fist into his stomach and he went down. I was pretty shaken up, and a woman who saw the whole thing, grabbed my arm and was saying, "keep walking."

I'm not telling the story to say it's the same as what happened in Penny's situation, I have no idea how threatened he really was or what he was thinking, but I do think @franticscribe 's 75/25 in favor of the defendant is probably pretty close to the reality of this, because when they sit a jury, they are going to be drawing from a lot of people who have felt scared by people acting erratically on the subway.

I understand that Penny had no knowledge of Neely's past when he put the guy in chokehold. But the court of public opinion hears that Neely had 40 arrests, including assaulting a man on the subway and punching a 67-year-old woman in the face as she was exiting the subway a few years ago, and people who actually have felt threatened or scared by homeless people on the subway aren't sitting there Monday Morning Quarterbacking what Penny could have done the way some of you are. I don't know what is in Penny's heart, but I can see how someone who thought he was protecting the other people on that car ended up in the situation he's in.

FileNotFound, wicked, Liut and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted