1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

None of them are true because every fucking word the fat fuck utters is bullshit

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is it possible (actually likely) that there was the "delayed" announcement," the doors opened and people who were trying to get somewhere got off and left?

Because if that's what happened, the reason they arrived "late enough" is that the NYPD doesn't have teleporter machines.

franticscribe, Liut and Azrael like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to impugn the cops. They got there when they got there.

(Although the day before, on that same line, there were cops on every platform, presumably as part of Adams campaign to boost rider confidence.)

I figure a lot of the eyewitnesses took off with a quickness because they didn't want to get involved.

But the cops accepted Penny's story at absolute face value, kicking him loose within a couple hours, without having heard from everyone.

It wasn't until a day or so later - around the time of the coroner's determination - that NYPD appealed for those witnesses to come forward.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The DeSantis appointed leadership of New College in Florida, the liberal school that DeSantis has been running rough shod over, picked former Trump Corona advisor Scott Atlas as graduation commencement speaker. The students are holding their own commencement the day before.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think you know that I am always very skeptical about the cops and how they do their job.

But this is all circumstantial. The default is actually not that he automatically gets arrested, the way you were suggesting to me yesterday. It's that he gets arrested if there is probable cause of a crime.

And circumstantially, I can very easily see the cops having gotten there, finding a victim that they already knew or that they saw had a long wrap sheet that included at least a few subway assaults, and then the witnesses still around were saying that he was threatening people when Penny put him in the chokehold that killed him.

That would not be your narrative of them accepting Penny's story at face value and kicking him loose.

franticscribe and Azrael like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What I was explaining yesterday was why people were so upset about this that they protested it.

I think there was ample cause to hold Penny longer than a few hours.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

As New York County DA Adam Schiff would say, you can indict a ham sandwich.

2muchcoffeeman and sgreenwell like this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

But wouldn't that take a rye sense of humor?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I suppose in this case it would depend on whether or not the Marine had mustard out.

TowelWaver, I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And would you cry if I told you that he lied
    And would you say goodbye, or would you let it slide?
    And would you ignore it if he were on your side?

Seems the coup is not yet complete, I've never see your trial
    Why, why, why let it slide
    Crazy, you are the forgivin' kind, and that's just not my style
    Why, why, why let it slide

And would you cry if I told you that he lied
    And would you ignore it if were your side?

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Is there an alternative? Assault of some degree?

Draft saved Draft deleted