1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, once they mint the coin, "default" is off the table, at least in the context of the debt ceiling.
    Along with minting the coin, the Dems should file suit on the 14th Amendment grounds, citing the minting of the coin as a specific device to abide by its provisions.
    If SCOTUS wants to throw it out anyway, well, people can find out their addresses too.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It’s this performative shit that really sums the GOP of 2023 up for me. This won’t in any remote way make their state or the country better. It doesn’t in any tiny way fix a problem anyone has ever had. And yet here they are, focused on this because they think it sends a message, because they think it pisses off their opponents, because their corporate donor like it. Here they are. People love to “both sides” politics but I only see one side doing stuff so stunningly useless.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Speaking of “this sums up the GOP in ‘23…”

Only this party of this era would look at someone who lost a governor’s race in a Right-leaning midterm in a right-leaning state, lost it specifically for being a fucking jackass, only this party in this time would look at that person and say “maybe VP?”

It’d be like if Democrats tried to make that fuckstick who lost the senate seat in North Carolina after screwing around on his wife or whatever the #2 face of the party.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Cal Cunningham, who lost a winnable race.

Driftwood, Neutral Corner and Pilot like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But what about the libruhl media being so mean to Senator Footbawwwwwl Coach?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That’s a fine point.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I almost looked it up, but felt like the pieces I did remember helped make my point for me, haha! Basically, he’s unlikely to ever be heard from again on the national level, and he’s damn sure not on any list to ever be VP.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The amazing part of it is this all started as a “let’s stop pretending to boycott 100 things and instead really boycott one chosen nearly at random: Bud Light.”

And we’re about two weeks in and they’ve ran, screaming and with their hair on fire, into boycotting 100 companies all over again.

Inky_Wretch and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That and getting to watch McCarthy twist in the wind as the Freedom Caucus torments him. Boehner had the smarts to see what was coming and get the hell out of dodge. McCarthy finally got hold of the Speaker's gavel and he won't turn it loose willingly, and he's going to suffer as a result.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The R's screwed this one up badly. If they had played this as a routine "Republicans shut down the government for a week or so", they would have been able to pull it off, I think. When it came to failing to raise the debt ceiling, though, it had never been done before. There were abundant warnings that the result might be a world financial meltdown, etc. As long as they didn't actually refuse to pass it, they can blame Biden for not agreeing and making the bargain. Thing is that if they screw around and crash the economy, all the fingers are going to point at them, and they know it. The middle of both parties were not going to let the debt ceiling fall, but they could probably have played the shutdown card, had much the same results, and not gotten their asses whipped at the bargaining table.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Very interesting that the smoking gun tape of Trump admitting to a serious felony gets leaked just as the Trumpist klan's plan to blow up the country fails. The story of the tape gets buried -- for now -- by coinciding with the de-escalation of the debt ceiling.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

With this fake fight over, honestly what else does the House have now?

Lots of performative “investigations” into Hunter and the “weaponization of government” crap. Sure. But nothing of any importance.

Taking the debt limit off the table leaves the House GOP pretty impotent.

This never should’ve happened. But since it did, it feels like a pretty decisive win for Biden and the democrats.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted