1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

People are posting them on eBay at those prices. The only ones actually selling are sets of several of the books together.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's equally possible that Seuss was a racist, who supposedly moved closer to tolerance as he aged, and that he wrote charming children's books.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yes. You've heard of systemic racism, I take it.

EDIT TO ADD: Colored water fountains were "mores of the time," but that didn't make them any less racist. Racist ads may have been the mores of the time, but that doesn't make them any less racist. Given the body of work created by Dr. Seuss, I find it impossible to write them off as simply "mores of the time," without attributing the underlying attitude to the artist himself. There is plenty of other work created by artists who didn't depict blacks as savages or gorillas and other such racist imagery.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    OscarMadison likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Also true, which is probably why the company only shelved the works that had overtly racist depictions in them. Nobody is coming after The Cat in the Hat.

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That’s not what I’m seeing.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I looked on eBay an hour ago. Dozens of listings for Seuss books at $500 or more. No bids, except for those in lots.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Hire this guy as a clerk:

[​IMG]

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, let's see how immigrant-friendly the Biden administration is.

Submitted the application for green card renewal today. In seven months her driver's license expires (DMV would not issue license beyond green card expiration date). USCIS says processing times range from 5.5-11 months.

I suspect I may be driving her to and from work for a few weeks. At 3 in the morning. :(

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not "writing them off."

Anymore than I know that the guy was a "raging racist."

My point was that you are sitting here with 2021 sensibilities, telling me what was in someone's head in the 1940s. The social mores of the time don't excuse the fact that those kinds of ads were relatively common, but they do matter. If you drew that kind of thing in the 1940s, you very well might have been a commercial artist trying to earn a buck. You might not have given much thought as to whether they were hurtful to anyone. Given the way attitudes have changed, there is no way you could draw that kind of thing today without understanding it.

In the 1980s, I might have called one of my friends a "faggot." In 2021, that would get a reaction that it didn't in 1985. You can sit here in 2021 without considering what things were like in the 1980s, and label me a "raging homophobe," but you'd be doing it without having a clue what was actually in my head.

Fred siegle, Driftwood and lakefront like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

A RABID ANTIDENTITE

Sea Bass and Fred siegle like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted