1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What I found interesting is when Petersen said Trump screwed up by saying the Democrats stole the election from him bc it made him look weak. That’s the thing, the Trump base — and Trump — know they’ve been denuded and made to look weak. And now they’re lashing out and claiming injustice. It’s laughable how weak ya have to be to be banging the drum for Trump these days. But those people are out there and they’re motivated and dangerous.

I still think (or maybe just hold hope) that someone like Roger Stone has a recording of Trump admitting he lost and describing his supplicants as schmucks. The fitting end to Trumpism is for a humiliated MAGA hump to smoke the standard bearer.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Saw a tweet to the effect of "Maybe if Ketanji Brown Jackson took a megayacht cruise of the Mediterranean with George Soros, the Republicans would discover that such trips are a matter of concern."

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Donald Trump will continue to appeal to that segment of the population as long as he can (or could) punish their enemies. That's all they want. I thought DeSantis was a (much) more sophisticated version of that, but he doesn't have Trump's considerable skill at using false equivalencies and in some cases, outright screeching, to hold the stage.

Spent the commute home thinking a little more on @CD Boogie's Peterson question, namely why it's harmful. First of all, the nature of the audience and the nature of the messenger lend itself quickly to brigading, and against many marginalized groups. For example, I am lightly skeptical, given how quickly this question has grown and entered the collective consciousness, just how far and how fast the trans rights movement should go. I don't put pronouns in my email sig for work, not because I am militant about it but because I have a first name that could almost certainly not be ambiguous as to my gender. But my skepticism about, for example, just how transgender my 13-year-old second cousin can be, doesn't mean I think they are part of a conspiracy to break into bathrooms to watch housewives on the toilet or infiltrate the U.S. Olympic team. It is, more or less, none of my business and harms no one. Peterson's whole bit, whether it be transgender pronouns, college professors, vaccines or climate change, is based on a conspiratorial militancy that demands a response, which in many cases does more harm to people who have already been harmed than it addresses any threat, real or perceived. Many of his criticisms of "postmodernism"or "political correctness" or "cultural Marxism" are a boogeyman constructed to justify ignorance of actual harm done against women, minorities and other marginalized sectors of our culture in the same way that a restaurant that food poisoned its customers two days a week would be offended by a Yelp review to that effect.

dixiehack, wicked, garrow and 4 others like this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Speaking of diving into the shallow end ...

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

How about the deal for Hunter includes the DOJ investigating Trump’s kids? Apparently all their dealings were on the up and up?

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Alito won’t answer questions but instead runs to the last bastion of a safe space for the conservative crowd, the WSJ op-ed page.

9. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I love to point out that all three Republican congressional leaders during the Clinton impeachment era - Newt, Bob Packwood, and Dennis Hastert - all had their own sexual, uh, dalliances become public knowledge...

10. Neutral Corner

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That’s a hypothesis, not a theory, but he’s gonna do himself.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, in the woo-woo portion of the fifth dimension …

I guess her crystals are aligned wrong or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted