1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I suppose one enhances critical thinking skills, certainly necessary to become a good doctor, through analyzing and parsing complicated literature. I suppose one can also enhance verbal and written communication skills by having a good understanding of proper use and nuance of language which seems necessary in research, patient advocacy, and colleague interactions.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I really don’t want to go back to the educational system of colonial America or the whining of former journalism school colleagues whining about having to take two math courses. Embrace something different. Do your best. You never know when you’ll need something.

Courses in globalization and the geology of the national parks shaped my thinking and introduced me to teachers who had a bigger impact on my life in its totality than any journalism course. They were put in front of me because of less than traditional prerequisites.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We can't use the F-word anymore, which is
    probably a good thing.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The call itself IS the crime, you stupid fuck.

One of them, anyway

2muchcoffeeman and Smallpotatoes like this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Baseball is Life part 39509q589051 ...

On Jim Acosta last night, Scott Jennings dropped a line that made me do a double take by saying Trump has been indicted by "4/5ths of the National League East."

UPChip, Deskgrunt50 and Liut like this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I guess I shouldn’t be concerned about the 2024 election. According to trumplicans, and now championed by trump cosplayer Vivek Ramaswamy, Kamala Harris can just install Joe Biden as president no matter the results of the electoral college. Apparently she can unilaterally make a bunch of new election laws on her own, too.

Whew. That was easy! Sort of like taking the old gop healthcare idea and making it Obamacare.

Good lord. These are not serious people.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Western medicine has been pretty science-heavy for the last 100 years. Which I think is fine. Math, too - at least as a condition of the MCAT.

And specialization. OK, we've divided the practice of medicine into areas of expertise, and that's good too.

But over that same century a lot of the humanity, the empathy, the bedside manner has been lost. And that's where the real art of general medicine has always been. In its kindness and its reassurance and its willingness to listen and to hear.

All of which can be found and taught in literature and the arts.

That said, there are still plenty of great writer / doctors. I was lucky enough to work with one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Selzer

And I think we'd all agree on this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atul_Gawande and this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Campo_(poet)

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Cool, a tattoo within a tattoo (note the teardrop).

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

God forbid we entertain the idea of individuals becoming broadly educated for its own sake. All the world’s a trade school and we need you in the game ASAP to turn out your share of widgets and never ask why.

12. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Yup, this is what Scott Walker and the GOP tried to do with the University of Wisconsin (and certainly did from a state funding standpoint). If you can't kill the higher-ed system outright, at least turn it into a "workforce" factory and convince the business and finance majors that art history and American literature and women's studies and multi-cultural courses are "woke" and therefore not worthy of your pursuit of getting into the grind at the age of 22 with no worldly view outside of your cube that you hope will one day become an office, if the boomer ever retires.

Draft saved Draft deleted