1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Cancel Culture. :eek::eek:

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All the Proud Dudes, can carry the news.

3. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

That’s a great read. Thank you.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, stare decisis died at the same time as RBG and is buried alongside her.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

YF's head just exploded.

2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  6. Twirling Time

A long-awaited positive step, but I doubt it changes much at the state level. For one thing, Congress will have to act on this, and the libertarianism has been completely squeezed out of the body. Cannabis law reform will be a slow process that will see some reactionary kickback before it all gets settled.

Hermes and I Should Coco like this.
  7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This board is BACK, baby!

8. Twirling Time

Is Sinema the vertex or the ray? (crossthread)

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I don't think paying with a credit/debit card at the (legal) local pot shop is allowed yet. Maybe this move would help toward that?

All preventing paying with plastic does is make marijuana shops magnets for armed robberies.

wicked likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. I'm obviously in a recreational state and my job involves regulations surrounding that (among other things). One of our policy analysts laid it out today and really not much change at the state/municipal level.

There's probably no banking relief associated with a move to Schedule III. It would still be considered illegal under federal law so banks likely will remain hesitant to work with marijuana businesses. But it might spur movement on the SAFE Banking Act, which would provide relief.

And the slowness of that act has always had me scratching my head. Banks love money. What better way to have a huge influx of dollars into banks to pass SAFE and allow them to do business with the marijuana industry. I wonder how much, if any, lobbying the bank industry has done on this with Congress. Not enough since it hasn't passed.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

Banking is by definition conservative. The banking lobby is cut to match, so I doubt they've been pushing hard on pot banking reform.

Money is fungible so I'm guessing a lot of it is going to Canadian banks.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Your name finally makes sense

Draft saved Draft deleted