1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Consider yourself very lucky. That was just before the sport went super corporate and drivers went from being openly accessible to getting driven on golf carts from the motorhome lot directly to the hauler without stopping, with the exception of the sponsor-demanded meet and greets. The King was one of the last to understand giving 30 seconds to chat with a kid or autographing some guy's STP t-shirt made him a fan of yours forever.

2. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

And I thought she was opposed to handouts

OscarMadison, wicked, garrow and 2 others like this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I did something similar, except I was barely a year old. Rolled my uncle's truck into a ditch.

Slacker likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

But not handys.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But she didn't reach across the aisle.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The best I have is as a toddler, I somehow got my tiny finger into the coil of the cigarette lighter of my dad's truck and stretched it out like a Slinky.
    As a heavy smoker, he was not pleased with a 2-3 year old Driftwood.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seeing the commercial for the second GQP debate on Faux and wondering why a reporter for Univision is on the panel. So the candidates can question why she's on this side of the border?

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

At age 5 or 6, on our sloped driveway, I steered our Country Squire with the faux wood side panels into the garage door. Fortunately my friend was off to the side watching wide-eyed instead of in front of the car.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    tea and ease and Woody Long like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Seems like every family has a story like this -- of little kids unknowingly causing trouble with cars.

We had a very similar event to Slacker's.

The youngest members of our family are twins, a boy and a girl. Also at about 4 years old, they climbed into the front seats of a 1967 Camaro convertible that we had at the time. I don't remember for sure who was "driving," though I think it was the boy. He somehow shifted it from Parked to Neutral and slow-rolled it, backwards, down our very slightly inclined driveway, across the street and dead-center into the middle of our neighbor's old blue-green station wagon.

The kicker was, that particular neighbor was well-known in the area because he was a social studies teacher at our local junior high school. I think one of my older brothers had him for the class at the time. Fortunately, we always were on friendly terms and sometimes even took care of feeding his huge tomcat if/when he went on vacations, so he priced the repairs and was OK with giving my parents the cheapest bill for them that he could.

In the aftermath, we also had to get some minor repairs on the classic Camaro, which was universally loved by everyone, but especially my mom, who has always had a thing for convertibles, and my dad bought her that one as a birthday gift one year. It was repaired that time, but not a few years later, after one of my older brothers near-totaled it in another, real crash.

To this day, my mom hasn't forgiven him for wrecking that car! :) I'm sure it would be worth a lot of money nowadays.

That same brother was also involved (although he wasn't driving) when another cool car we had -- a little MG convertible -- also was wrecked when a friend drove it through the wall of our local elementary-school principal's office (I told that story on another thread on here).

Draft saved Draft deleted