1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No, he doesn’t. He will appeal. The process will drag out. He will never have to pay a dime. Trumpists never do.
    See Jones, Alex. Still spending like a lottery winner to maintain his lavish lifestyle. Still not paying a dime to the Sandy Hook parents.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

When I first lived in Alabama in 1978 there were all sorts of Blue Laws. No alcohol sales on Sunday. Retail stores at the mall were closed on Sunday. It was a weird and different world.

Two quick stories from that time:

My roommate, Little Bud the Human Beerkeg, needed beer to enjoy football. We were both assistant managers in retail (read slave labor working many hours for a pittance) and worked every Saturday, so college games were out. He'd buy a couple of twelve packs on Saturday night for the NFL games. We'd drink a couple, and I'd go to bed, worn out from craziness at work. I'd get up the next day and open the refrigerator and there would be three or four beers left. "Buuuuud! You did it again! There's no beer!" So off we'd go looking for somewhere to get beer on a Sunday morning. This usually involved either driving way into the backwoods somewhere to a Shot House he knew about and buying at an extortionate price or trying to con some poor store clerk into selling it.

I got to where I wouldn't even get out of the car, just sit and watch the Kabuki Theater through the glass. Bud goes back to the beer cooler, grabs a 12 pack and heads for the counter. Clerk shaking his head no, "Can't. It's Sunday." Bud throwing his hands in the air in theatrical exasperation and angst. Bud pulling out his wallet and showing his department store ID card to prove he didn't work for the state alcohol control board. Bud throwing a $20 at the guy and sprinting out the door with the beer under his arm, diving in and driving off. Like that. Every weekend. No, I wasn't going to buy more and hide it. I'd be lucky to get four beers out of the twelve I paid for.

The other was when I was dating the girl I later married. She worked in community theater, and there was a little family run Italian restaurant that crowd hung out in. Mama Romeo was in the kitchen and her two sons worked front of house. If they knew you, you could go in there on Sunday and get wine with your meal. They'd put it in a ceramic teapot and you'd pour it into teacups and drink it with your spaghetti or whatever. It was like going to a speakeasy during prohibition. You could tell who was the in crowd by looking for teapots on the table. When you got your check it would list your two meals for six or eight dollars each, whatever, and twelve dollars for "tea".

There are still a few dry counties here, kept that way by that most Southern of political coalitions, the Baptists and the Bootleggers.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In Boston's Chinatown, restaurants open after the bars closed used to sell "cold tea," that is, booze.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not everyone could buy the cold tea. They were selective re: sales. Haven’t been in Chinatown for eons, not sure if it’s still available.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Still can’t buy beer in a supermarket in Minnesota, which is one of the biggest adjustments I noticed when I moved here. Have to buy from a designated liquor store, which needs to have a special license to be open on Sunday (most do by now, but Sunday sales have only been legalized in the last 5-10 years.)

Minnesota operates what it calls a three-tiered system. You can be a manufacturer, a distributor or a vendor but not all three. What that has meant is that some of the states largest microbreweries could not legally sell you product to go from their taprooms (growlers, six-packs, etc.) because they produced too much and they counted as a distributor.

7. Neutral Corner

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Conspiracy theory ... or ... horror movie preview?
    Imagine the chaos ahead if Trump's doc leaks were the root of this evil ...

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well of course it did

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted