1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

matt_garth likes this.
  2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see this, and agree with you and, like you, I hate it. It just seems, sometimes, as if you've blamed Ivanka for most/all of it, and I don't see how that can be done. Also, he is her father, and the one who has been the source of her livelihood and all the advantages of life you mentioned, etc., and so, not so easy to ignore, walk away from, or whatever. So I could see how she, literally, wouldn't know or be sure how to respond. I can't imagine being subject of such comments or conversations. By/with your father no less. How, exactly, do you respond?

I guess I can forgive her maybe not doing it exactly right. And I feel like now, maybe, she is getting it right. I do think she's probably the smartest person in her family and that she is capable of, finally, figuring things out, and handling everything, even her past, and doing things right, and better. That's kind of what I think has been going on lately. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Day-umm. ... Madame Poster, I rise to crossthread: This clip is even better TV than the "Smelly Cat" episode of "Friends"!

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But Biden is old so samsies.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I haven’t written anything flattering about DeSantis on this board. He’s quite dislikable.

So was Richard Nixon. What’s true of both men is that they didn’t arrive at their political station because of silver spoons. And what’s true is true irrespective of its inconvenience.

(Yes I’m aware Nixon went to Whittier College first.)

Sometimes I make small, annoying points that are reserved for the points they make - not forgiving who someone came to be. If someone said Stalin was born into wealth and carried over that elitism into his later rule as an authoritarian monster, that little factoid would not be true. But he’d still be a monster.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Faint praise.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"The centre cannot hold" is another Yeats quote from the very same poem that yields relevance today.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's actually worse than that. With the state Supreme Court having a Republican majority locked in until 2028 and being led by a partisan hack, there is little chance of breaking the Republican stranglehold on the legislature and congressional maps before then.

It will almost certainly take a state Supreme Court ruling that gerrymandering violates the state constitution in order to break the grip.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This has been a hellbent, whiskey-bound mission to show who's in control of this state since Roy Cooper beat Pat McCrory for governor. If you recall, McCrory – similar to you-know-who – kept demanding recounts. Each recount dug him deeper and deeper. When he had already spent millions on recounts – remember, folks ... only Democrats waste taxpayers' money – McCrory, similar to you-know-who, left in a huff, wouldn't acknowledge anything and Cooper was finally governor.

The GOP in Congress in Raleigh has been trying to blatantly undermine Cooper since. They consider it this their sworn duty ... not serving the people and doing what the state needs. But simply running over any and every Dem issue they can find and grabbing power by ANY means necessary. I'd call them scumbuckets, but scumbuckets have a lot more redeeming value.

Driftwood and tapintoamerica like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nixon, DeSantis and . . . Jimmy Carter were all in the Navy, too.

I'm not sure how much personality they share in common.

Of presidents, the silver spoon thing since WW II applies to both Bush I and Bush II. Trump. Kennedy.

But Truman, Eisenhower, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Clinton, Obama, Biden are all up from the stainless steel spoon like the rest of us.

The names of the really connected Ivy League legacies, the permanent ruling class of this country, going back to the Mayflower, remain mostly unknown to the rest of us.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Not only that, in McCrory's lame duck period the leg passed and he signed into law limiting the governor's power on certain things.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They were mostly chill potheads at Vanderbilt.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted