1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It means a lot.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wasn't it he who proposed it? From August 2 ...
    Ron DeSantis Accepts Gavin Newsom’s Challenge to Debate on Fox News

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Go into the blue tent!

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, lest I be cast into the gulag for the "especially Trump adjacent" (as with Dante's, there are nine levels) ... I didn't watch a second and don't care who "won."

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was before he was indicted. That was before he incited a riot at the U.S. Capitol. That was before abortion became such a motivating issue for Democrats.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Her entire gubernatorial campaign and governing decisions have been in deference to Trumpism. Hell, she held more fundraisers at Mar-A-Lago than in Little Rock.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The percentage of people who voted for Biden in '20 and will switch to Trump in '24 simply because they made a few more trips around the sun has to be well to the right of the decimal point.
    If you are a minority and vote for a group of people who are actively hostile toward you, then you deserve whatever you get if they happen to win.
    The voters that Trump could mostly likely pick up is a bunch of mouth-breathing redneck boys who happened to turn 18 in the last couple of years, and most of them won't be bothered to actually go cast a ballot.

TowelWaver, MTM and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Lotta folks we thought wouldn't cast ballots in 2016, did.

If we're saying "it can't happen this time," we're making the same mistake Hillary Clinton made.

To your first point, I see lots of "this time, it counts!"-type voters sitting this one out. Of course this is also 11 months out.

I'm not jumping off a bridge in despair, but I do think some folks need to roll their confidence back a tad.

dixiehack likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My confidence in the outcome of the election isn't a slam dunk. I was just pointing out that number of votes that might flip from Biden to Trump is small. Not too many people are going to say, "Well, I'm older so crime, ignorance, racism, sedition, and fascism sound pretty good now."

11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I can see a world where Haley is Trump's VP nom. As for any fretting over whether either would play ball, oh come on, the GOP IS Trump. They've all proven over and over and over again that they always cower and roll over. Every single time.

I can also see a world where at least some people would view Haley as a reason to soften their stance on voting for Trump. I can see them spin it that way. I can see them think, well, if Trump goes crazy again, we'll have a safe bet in Haley. I could see my dad, who voted for Obama and Biden, thinking such a thing. I could also see him thinking Manchin would be viable for his vote if there was a third party.

Is any of it enough, does any of it actually happen or move the needle? Who the hell knows? It's Dec. 1, 2023.

But I have also come to the point where, fuck it, if Trump is elected then yes, the country deserves whatever happens and what it gets. I'm sorry. I guess I'm defeated in that way.

OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Wasn't so much going at Driftwood as much as the conventional thinking in the Acela Corridor.

We're mostly rational sorts. We saw the bedlam of the Trump years and we're thinking, "there's no way this can happen again."

Draft saved Draft deleted