1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

P.S. If anyone wants to buy a bridge, I have one for sale. PM me.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There are only the slimmest of chances Dems hang on to the Senate next year.

Just something to remember.

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

It’s almost like the GOP can continue to veer towards fascism because conservative voters are willing to do the, “look this is all fine; Democrats are just as bad,” routine.

I hope you’re right. I hope this is all fine.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Worst Cotton Bowl ever.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Doesn't anybody understand sarcasm?

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What the hell, man. Am I supposed to set what little hair I have on fire lest I be condemned as "Trump-adjacent"? If I gently lampoon some of the more ridiculous takes 'round these parts, am I to be consigned to "BOTH SIDES!" purgatory? I suppose making fun of the Distinguished Senator of Color from Massachusetts (and her signing on for the War on Big Sandwich) is "veer[ing] towards fascism." Pointing out the ridiculousness of much of the vitriol directed @Alma's way marks one as ... what, exactly?

Let's say I was willing to play that game of counterfactual ... if this, then that, therefore thus. First of all, it's comical ... Imagining a scenario in which Biden wins the Presidency but the MAGA bloc* gains control of both houses is not too far removed from assuming you can divide by zero. But let's put that aside.

Let's say that I arrive at a particular conclusion as a result of playing that game. Is that conclusion supposed to then govern every decision I make re: politics for as long as I'm above ground? Do I need to start donating to The Squad? Admit that I never really picked up critical thinking skills and start letting the Propaganda Professor guide my way? Stop liking college football?

To hell with that.

*And, of course, since I'm not sure that "MAGA bloc" = "GOP", I suppose that's another one of those "just as bad" sides of me.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Anybody who follows CFB knows that.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The surest bet on the 2024 election is that the Trumpists are going to win the Senate. And all they need in order to throw out the EVs of a particular state is a simple majority in both chambers.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I know you hate it …

But yes: The I’m a conservative, so I guess I’ll vote Trump even though he sucks because libs are terrible” need to be shouted down by those of you who lean conservative, but can still be counted on as reasonables.

The DoctorQuants need to tell the YankeeFans, “hey man - I don’t care if you think AOC is going to turn my kid trans; I will vote for Joe Biden over Donald Trump.”

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's more of a "we'd like them to, please" than "they need to." How well do most conservative non-Trumpers deal with being told what to do?

I mean, we should at least recognize who's doing who a favor. Their lives won't really be affected all that much by a Trump presidency.

Draft saved Draft deleted