1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Clarence Thomas' grotesque and monumental corruption is a Olympic-sized symbol of the moral rot of the GOP. Won't get the attention it deserves because....HUNTER BIDEN!!! BAD POLLS!!!!

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if the general lack of public reaction to Thomas is tha people don't care or more a case of it kind of being "baked in" to the GOP brand. And there is probably also a big chunk of the populace that never hears about stuff like this since newspaper circulation and local news ratings are crashing - how many members of Congress live in districts with a strong news organizaion reporting on them? Hell, George Santos ran right in the heart of the NYC area and went unnoticed. Even worse, he was probably on the ballot of people who lead major news orgs.

Trump isn't the biggest threat to democracy - he apathy and lack of civic engagement is.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There is definitely a Trump Effect though.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  4. DanOregon

I was stunned how many ICE detentions were made up here in Oregon during the Trump era. I didn't know there were that many agents this far north (and they weren't after Canadians)...

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think Trump is honestly a result of that apathy. Even if we did still have strong news gathering I don't know how many would know or care because everyone is watching TikTok or Real Housewives of Dancing with Deez Nutz or whatever.

I Should Coco, garrow and maumann like this.
  6. DanOregon

The GOP would make a great reality show/soap opera - "Real Politicians of the GOP" - who hates who, the sex scandals, the betrayals, they obvious lying....

I think its one of the reasons people "tune out" of Democratic politics - it isn't captivating post-Obama. Biden doesn't hang out with celebrities. He is closer to a broken hip than being hip, and the cast is very much "outside the coveted demo."

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Would have loved a Barack-Trump matchup. Of course 44 would have won.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’ll see your bet and raise you. Twenty says it’s up her skirt.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

To clarify, I agree they have the force of law, but you can’t sign an EO to disband Congress. The way he’s thinking of it is akin to his understanding of most things: exaggerated to the point no one can take him seriously.

Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There’s a reason Trump was full of bluster when Obama ran but didn’t actually run himself.

HanSenSE, garrow and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted