1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My regular golf partners spend a great deal of time bitching about the town board of selectpersons. When I am bored enough, I always say, "well, you guys are all qualified, you could run." The reaction is always stark horror, and a hole or two later, the admission, "we're lucky anybody will do it."

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

If memory serves, Wisconsin was a pretty long holdout in lowering the DWI rate to .08 BAC, but finally relented over federal funding issues. Anyone better versed in Badger can correct me.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Louisiana lost highway funding until 1996 because its drinking age was 18.

Driftwood and franticscribe like this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Federal highway funds were used as the hammer nationwide (with only a few holdouts) in the late 70s to force states to raise the drinking age back up to 21 after it had been lowered to 18 in 1972.

Of course if they were really worried about traffic safety (the public rationale), they would raise the age to 27 (actuarial figures show a dramatic dropoff in accident rates after age 26, when humans reach emotional and intellectual "maturity"). Haven't heard anybody propose THAT.

Driftwood likes this.
  5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'm sure the deep-thinking Rogan will now understand the error of his ways, and that he's not been truthful to his faithful maga listeners.

Or, he'll continue to be grifting huckster, spewing lies for profit. Also: fuck that guy.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

SNL should do a sketch: the Joe Biden Podcast where the President's guests are a bunch of UFC assclowns or British dudes rambling about ancient megaliths.

franticscribe and Smallpotatoes like this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Couldn't be any funnier than Will Ferrell as Harry Caray asking Jeff Goldblum if he would eat the moon if it were made of ribs.

Driftwood and UPChip like this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

More cowbell!

maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Not practical at all, though. The young work force needs to get to work.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Jeff Goldblum will eat anything if the camera stays tight on him for at least 20 seconds. I think it's Item 7(b) in his personal contract.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted