1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I mean, c’mon. That’s a layup and she tossed it over the backboard. Unless she’s really worried about upsetting voting blocks that are a little squishy on “slavery is bad.” Oh…

Sure, there’s a core issue of state’s rights to start the Civil War that a whole lot of people have used for years to justify word salad answers like hers. But slavery isn’t one of those issues I’d want to win on a technicality.

She won’t lay a glove on the guy who’s beating her by 40 points. And a terrible answer to that question. Profile in courage.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think "Because of slavery" is such a good response, so there's that. And maybe that's where she was coming from, although I doubt it. If I had to put money on it, I'd guess she was running poll-tested numbers in her head while also talking. Bad things happen when politicians do that.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like a "Nyah, nyah I'm gonna make you say the S word" question and a "Nyah, nyah no you're not!" answer.

Why else bothering to ask a question everybody knows the answer to on a subject exactly 0% of voters are concerning themselves with?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So you’re saying that admitting slavery was the reason for the Civil War would adversely impact a Republican candidate’s chances in a GOP primary?

garrow and Hermes like this.
  5. doctorquant

All right genius ... my turn. Whence came the 3/5ths compromise? Which states wanted it to be 0/5ths?

6. doctorquant

No, I'm saying that giving an appropriately informed answer was a no-winner no matter what.

7. doctorquant

Probably some truth to that.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So it’s possible to give an informed explanation of the cause of the Civil War without mentioning slavery?

garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“What do you want me to say about slavery?” is a horrible response. Period. End of sentence.

2muchcoffeeman and matt_garth like this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

[
    Your first response rather than do 2 seconds of Google research was to say that she didn’t say exactly what she said. Moron.

11. doctorquant

Come on genius ... you trotted out the "3/5ths" bit. Deliver the kill shot!

12. doctorquant

Probably not, but show me where I described hers as "an informed explanation."

Draft saved Draft deleted